Cookshack vs. Backwoods Smoker

I had a cookshack electric smoker for a couple years. It was the second smoker I ever bought. Sold it about 5 years ago.
I wasnt impressed with it. I had the smaller one and at the time it cost me about $500! You had to cut racks of ribs in half to make them fit and chicken skin came out rubbery.

I get MUCH better results with my BDS and Weber.

If memory serves me correctly the Smoking Tex is a cheap Chinese knock off smoker without any insulation in the walls.
My Cookshack Smokette I have owned since 98-99 and has had 1 thermostat replaced and works just fine.

A trailer would be great, but with a little ingenuity you can haul a fatboy without a trailer.

I don't use a trailer on my fatboy. Here is a pic of it. I have 2 4x4's cut to about 6 ft each. Back the cooker up to the truck, put the 2 4x4's between the truck bed and the cooker, tilt (with help) the cooker back onto the 4x4's, the just pick up the bottom of the 4x4's and push it into the bed.....the 4x4's are tall enough to keep the cooker up off of the bed of the truck and does not scratch the cooker..basically they act as skids. When it is time to unload it, just put the boards out until the are long enough to drop to the ground, stand the cooker up and roll it away....the 8" flat free casters definitely help.

Attachments

• Fatboy.jpg
    Fatboy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 252
IMHO - BWS is a better overall product if money isn't an issue. Charcoal & space are major advantages and if you ever do want to try out a local comp, you're set.

I don't use a trailer on my fatboy. Here is a pic of it. I have 2 4x4's cut to about 6 ft each. Back the cooker up to the truck, put the 2 4x4's between the truck bed and the cooker, tilt (with help) the cooker back onto the 4x4's, the just pick up the bottom of the 4x4's and push it into the bed.....the 4x4's are tall enough to keep the cooker up off of the bed of the truck and does not scratch the cooker..basically they act as skids. When it is time to unload it, just put the boards out until the are long enough to drop to the ground, stand the cooker up and roll it away....the 8" flat free casters definitely help.

Hey Big George's BBQ. Check out abangs idea of how to move a fatboy without a trailer.

It takes a helper to get my BWS party into the truck, too. However I'm sure I could make a ramp and winch it up there if it ever becomes an issue (so far it's not an issue finding a helper the very few times I haul it somewhere)

Back