Cooking with Scouts

Thanks tom b! Happy to share! Helps a lot that things went well, the boys had fun, the weather (mostly) cooperated, and no one had to go to the hospital!

Bruce

Thanks Jeannie! I really hope the boys enjoyed it as much as the adults did! We’ve had some boys in years past start helping with the pig who then bail once they get up close and personal. But most of the boys dive right in and get to work and have a blast. It’s really cool to see how much ownership they take with the pig and how seriously they take their jobs.

Bruce

Thanks Mike! It really was a good cook! Really great that tye boys were into it, and definitely enjoyed their work product as well as the process!

Bruce

Thanks Mike-Toast! Pretty cool to see the boys go from being goofy kids to become, well, a different kind of goofy and positive adults. :-D

Bruce

Awesome job! Cant wait for things like that. My oldest, who is 6, just started scouts and just got his Bobcat badge. Little guy was pumped. Lol

Thanks John! Yep, it is pretty cool. Nice to be able to have these types of experiences. This is something that I didn’t get when I was growing up. I was never a Boy Scout, family didn’t tent camp, and we definitely never cooked a whole hog!

I'm impressed by those young men but especially so of those of you who donate the time and effort to teach them.

Thank you!

Thanks Norm! It’s a blast! My son aged out of Scouts about 18 months ago. There are two other guys in our troops who have boys that are now 22 and 24 years old who still come on outings because they see the value of Scouts and they’re still having fun. Our troop refers to those folks that still are active in Scouts without having boys currently in the troop as, Scout Nerds. I’m enjoying my nerd status!

Bruce

You're teaching those kids not only Scouting skills and awesome cooking skills, but also what being a good, responsible, caring, and capable adult looks like. My Scoutmaster made a life long impact on me. Thanks for being a great role model.

Thanks Scott! Yeah, the Bud Light on the China Box wasn’t exactly Scout ideal. However, it was thrifty! That was a yard sale find by the sister of one of the Assistant Scoutmasters. I think it was $25!

Bruce

I don't blame her. I'd buy that for 25 bucks.

Thanks again for taking the time to entice the Scouts lives and share it with us. Honestly, it might be an untapped source of community service for BBQ devotees to team up with Scout Troops and teach them the world of BBQ.

Great post. Thanks again. Happy Smokin'

Back