Cooking Honors

DjPorkchop

is one Smokin' Farker
So I finally got a call!

Right out of the blue tonight while tornado sirens were going off, I got a call from a buddy of mine who just opened a speed shop and is having his grand opening in 3 weeks. He said he could think of no one else he wants to cook the food that day than me and he would be honored if I did!!! WOW! I was honored. ..... And then I told him absolutely not.

:crazy: right? He was all but highly upset and asked me why and I explained liability issues and he understood. I then proceeded to ask him if they had good insurance on the business and employees and he said yes. I said well good then put me on the payroll for 1 day, pay me $20 for the gas to get there and haul my cookers and feed me for free and we are in business. he very quickly agreed.

So I guess in 3 weeks my Big Poppa Drum, My old leaky drum and my Kettle are going to get a work out. it is a Speed shop grand opening and they are hosting a car show.

I think my wife is more excited than I am to be honest. I just didn't want to leave a buddy hanging is why I agreed. he has helped me so I had to help him.

Am I wrong for my approach and will my terms Cover my Arse? I know we have tossed this around many, many times. I just want to be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

Ray

My guess you will be alright as long as you take all the necessary food prep precautions. As far as you being covered under his insurance is a reach since food prep/serivice is not within the scope of his business. Most likely his insurance company would fight any claims do to a food borne illness and they would probably win. So proceed with caution and do not count on his insurance, business licenses covering you or him.

If he has the required permits. The city will probably require a health dept. person stop by to check out how things are being handled/cooked/food holding and meat temps (this is where a thermapen really comes in handy). You should be fine.
Have plenty of latex gloves for you and the helpers ( your going to need a few!).
Try to have fun!

By the By, I hope your safe, you did mention Sirens

Contact the insurance company and see if you can get a one day policy....maybe it's called a rider or something like that? Have the owner explain the situation to the ins co....you're an employee....and if they can do it I'm sure they will.....

Appreciate all the replies folks.

I took some time to seriously think this through and called him today and said I could not do it for him. I just can not risk it. The wife and I just bought our house and I would hate for someone else to try and own it over a upset stomach from pulled pork or what ever gets cooked.

What I did agree on was to be there that day and he would borrow my equipment and feed me free beer all day pretty much. I will not cook. He understands and was real cool about it. I will tell him my methods and he can do the rest.

I think my decision makes me feel 100% better. I am glad and happy he asked me of all the people, but in the end, I just can't do it.

Appreciate all the replies folks.

I took some time to seriously think this through and called him today and said I could not do it for him. I just can not risk it. The wife and I just bought our house and I would hate for someone else to try and own it over a upset stomach from pulled pork or what ever gets cooked.

What I did agree on was to be there that day and he would borrow my equipment and feed me free beer all day pretty much. I will not cook. He understands and was real cool about it. I will tell him my methods and he can do the rest.

I think my decision makes me feel 100% better. I am glad and happy he asked me of all the people, but in the end, I just can't do it.

I think you made the right choice... It's very hard to say no to good friends, but sometimes we have to weigh the risks. The problem is that someone doesn't have to get sick, they can just claim they were ill to start a case against you.

I have a friend that has an outfitter's store and every fall he has a big tent sale and grills burgers and dogs. He's asked me to do pork many times and I've had to refuse. He used to rent my smoker, but now he bought a smoker for the store and I'll help him with guidance, but I won't handle the food, that's on him.

It's different when you are cooking for friends and family, but when you throw unknown customers in a business environment, it only makes sense to just walk away.

Back