THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In follow up, the party was great. We boiled 500 lbs of shrimp, made 15 gallons of pork, chicken & andoullie jambalaya, 15 gallons of alligator sauce picante, 25 lbs of boudin, about 10-15 lbs of fried alligator tail meat. Time and weather dictated that we do ribs rather than brisket. We did 17 racks of BBs using a commercial rotisserie smoker (first time lots of fun). Those guys ate every piece of edible food available and drained a Budweiser keg truck. I had the pleasure of sitting and talking with John Elway, Archie Manning, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning and Jamarcus Russell. Perhaps that highlight of the evening was spending time with legendary Jim Hanifan who coached the HOG offensive line for the campion Redskins in the 91? Superbowl and coached the St. Louis offensive line in there Superbowl victory. Those 2 gigantic rings were something to behold. Capnamerica, I am sorry to say that I was close enought to Peyton to kick him in the nuts; however, he had all of his brothers and his dad there and they are some incredibly large humans. All in all a good night in a community stills struggling from Katrina.

ModelMaker said:
What a sport to share your competition recipie!! I saved it and will give it a try when cooler weather returns.
ModelMaker
Have fun by the way...
Not a big thing to share. Competition jambalaya cooking is a lot like competitive bbq, a bunch of guys cooking the same thing with small variations in technique and seasoning. At a competitive level most bbq participants produce excellent results. The winners are the guys who know how to manage heat and time and who have their finished product peak appropriately. With jambalaya, it is all about moisture control or having the necessary liquid in the pot to cook the rice to the perfect consistency. Of course everything that you throw into the pot with the exception of rice adds liquid which rice absorbs. Cooking 6 lbs of rice with 20lbs of seasoning in a 6 gallon pot on an open fire can be real tricky. Championship level jambalaya cooks are masters of fire/heat management. Basically you get one shot at getting it right. Adding liquid produces mush. Falling short results in crunchy uncooked rice.

.. hard to really get a feel for the great experience you describe, but it has to be a truly unique set of memories! Those specific individuals, together on that specific night, with all that great food ...... maybe actually better then going to the Superbowl !! It must have been a hoot.

Congrats on the successful jambalaya.

Q_Egg said:
.. hard to really get a feel for the great experience you describe, but it has to be a truly unique set of memories! Those specific individuals, together on that specific night, with all that great food ...... maybe actually better then going to the Superbowl !! It must have been a hoot.

Congrats on the successful jambalaya.
Absolutely a hoot and if you are a football fan just unbelievable. Great food, great fellowship. The list of celebrity QBs who show up at this event is always fluid. There are always big names in town, but Elway. When he strolled into the backyard you could have heard a pin drop. Even Peyton seemed in awe.

Q-Ball, never tried jambalya or any of those other dishes you described. Sure sounds good though. I would love to try some of your recipes. Trust me Im not headed down south to compete. The heat/humidity would probably lay me out hard/fast. Sure would have been nice to meet some ex pro football guys. Glad you had a great time. Sounds like you really need some good r/r now. Thanks for the reports.

bbqbull said:
The heat/humidity would probably lay me out hard/fast.

I'm use to the heat here in TX, but just got back from Gulport, MS. Damn humidity was killing me. A day or so of rain didn't help either.

And I failed to pick up some gator sausage before I left. Might have to get some shipped to me. Might be a good addition to the pot.

BBQ Bull & Thillin: Yep. Hot and humid. We had misting fans going till early in the AM. Wasnt too bad when the sun went down, but standing over those giant iron pots and hugh stainless boilers in the early afternoon was brutal. Of course you get 4 or 5 people who love to cook and put em on a project like this and its just a blast. Didnt really feel it until this morning. As far as the recipe, I am not sharing anything thats double secret. My competition days are gone. I cook cause I like it and because the people I like like what I cook. Let me know if you are coming this way and we'll cook one up together.

I bet those misting fans really helped. I plan on installing them on my back porch when I move. At least I'll run the misters aroung the perimeter.

I look forward to that small pot recipe.

Back