Cooking for friends' wedding

hammb

Full Fledged Farker
A couple of my friends are getting married with a small reception. Close friends & family, their invite list is only 60 people, although they do expect 100% turnout. I volunteered to provide the food for them so they wouldn't have to worry about it (they were initially going to try and cook something themselves). They'll be paying for the food, and my time is my gift to them. That group of 60 will be all adults, no children are invited.

My plan is to do 2 small briskets (~25# total) as that is what will fit well on my cooker. The rest of the meat needs will be filled out with pulled pork. I know it's quite likely that we'll run out of brisket and perhaps not everyone will get any, but they are okay with that. I was thinking about 30# of raw pork would be enough to cover all the meat needs? Am I in the right ballpark, or should I have more? Obviously we'd rather have leftovers than run out, but none of us have ever cooked for this many people before.

For sides I'm doing Mac & Cheese, and Baked beans. The Groom's father is providing potato salad, so there will be 3 sides for people (all starches, LOL), but I'm not making that. For quantities I was thinking 6# of dried pasta for the mac & cheese, and probably 4# of dried beans for the baked beans. Again would rather have leftovers than run out. Are my side estimates low?

For process my plan is to cook all the meat at home, wrap in butcher paper, and then hold it in coolers to keep warm and transport to the reception site. Sides will both be transported in electric roasting ovens. I'll be planning to arrive before the ceremony to set up the buffet, then there is a break between ceremony and dinner for me to finish prep. My plan is to use that time to pull the pork, add finishing sauce, and put it in an electric roasting oven as well. The brisket I'm torn between slicing and putting in roaster right before service, or slicing at the end of the buffet line.

With the possible exception of slicing the brisket, the whole operation will be self serve buffet.

I'll also be making up a couple of different sauces, and I REALLY have no idea what quantities I should have for sauces.

So my big questions are any tips/tricks on my process plan? I've done plenty of 20-30 person cooks at my house, but this will be the first time to cook for 60 and the first time of transporting it all offsite.

Secondly, are my quantities ok? Anything I should change there? Sauce quantity suggestions?

Thanks to the group for any help you can provide. My friends are pretty laid back (no bride-zilla stuff here), but I do wanna make sure the day goes off as well as can be expected for an amateur cooking for them.

Your numbers for food will be fine. Call a rental company and see what they will charge to rent a couple of front load hot boxes (about $23 each here) for the sides and you can just put the big meats in a cooler and pull/slice onsite. If doing 2 sauces you'd be covered for sure with 1/2 gallon of each. Probably even a quart of each.

Thanks for the suggestions. I could look into renting a Cambro or similar hot box, but we don't really have the chafing dishes/hotel pans that you'd normally use one of those for either.

My grandma used to cater weddings and has a few of these type of roasters:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rival-RO180-18-Quart-Roaster-White/dp/B000G0HPEI"]Amazon.com: Rival RO180 18-Quart Roaster Oven, White: Electric Roasters: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FJ86X7DEL.@@AMEPARAM@@31FJ86X7DEL[/ame]

Is the cambro type insulated warmer an appreciably better option for the sides than these roasting ovens would be?

but we don't really have the chafing dishes/hotel pans that you'd normally use one of those for either.
You can rent them as well. I'd look at buying them.
(Or serve in throwaway aluminum - just sayin'.)
No, that Rival 18 qt thing has NOTHING in common with a Cambro, bro. :)

I also agree - bring big pcs. of meat, and carve/ pull there.
I would slice the brisky as folks go by -"Fatty or Lean?"
you might get 60 slices off 2 briskys.
You got this, gunna be guud!

Thanks for the suggestions. I could look into renting a Cambro or similar hot box, but we don't really have the chafing dishes/hotel pans that you'd normally use one of those for either.

My grandma used to cater weddings and has a few of these type of roasters:

Amazon.com: Rival RO180 18-Quart Roaster Oven, White: Electric Roasters: Kitchen & Dining

Is the cambro type insulated warmer an appreciably better option for the sides than these roasting ovens would be?

You can rent chafing dishes and hotel pans and much more. Depending on sides you could need 4 to 6 of the roasters if the count gets much higher than 60 people. If you have that many they will work just fine though.

You can rent chafing dishes and hotel pans and much more. Depending on sides you could need 4 to 6 of the roasters if the count gets much higher than 60 people. If you have that many they will work just fine though.

I was assured the count would not go above 60 at all...and invites have already been sent out.

And I do have free access to that many roasters. And I just grabbed that amazon link as an example. I think they're actually bigger than 18qt.

Back