Cooking Classes

Which competition cooking class would you recommend?

• Rod Gray/Johnny Trigg

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Bob Snelson

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Mike Davis BBQ Class

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Paul Kirk

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • BS Pitmeisters - Charles Fretwell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other - please name

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters
Maybe I can do it
I was going to a Texas Wild Boar Hunt at that time but.................

Wow! Now there's a dish that they ought to think about in the next BCS series in the dish that bites back category!

Thom we heard that the april class was filling up rapidly (close to 20 teams signed up already) and that they have changed the date to April 4-5, so maybe this will work out for you and you can still fit the hunt in. We sent our application in on Monday. Hope to see you there.

You also have to look at what's available. If you wait to take a Class from Chris Lilly you may get old before it happens. He just doesn't do many. Frankly, I don't either and it may be less next year.

Bummer. But, if you do decide to conduct any classes in the future, Ray...what is the best way to stay informed of potential registrations?

I only do them in Spring and I try to list them on www.drbbq.com by December 1st. Makes a lovely Christmas gift. I may do one in Effingham, IL and that may be the only class I do this year.

Cool, Ray...I hope you do. Effingham is only a little more than 100 miles from me. I'll follow-up periodically on your 'site.

I would like to take Mike Davis of Lotta Bull and also Myron Mixons class.

Last year we did Kevin Bevingtons class of Home BBQ learned enough to compete and have done pretty good couple of top ten finishes.

I still don't see anything wrong with MGD.

I haven't spoken to your bro. but he left me a voicemail. Sounds like your biggest issue was pork, ours was Chicken. We finished 143rd, so I was pretty happy with that, ant the ribs at 69.

My brother got our numbers, but I haven't seen em yet. Sounds like we need to go a whole new direction in chicken.

If you are looking for a Competition 101 Class
QN4U is doing two in Calif North and South
in early 2008
Simulates a KCBS Comp with you using your smoker
Same time as the Walton use theirs telling you what they are doing
then you do it
details at www.cbbqa.com

Took the Paul Kirk Class and the Lotta Bull Class. Both very good. Paul's class goes through a lot of the basics of rubs, sauces and how a BBQ competition is run - we cooked, turned in and were judged (KCBS rules and some CBJ's), with awards given out. The Lotta Bull class was very good for those competing and wanting to learn and hear some new ideas. I got a lot from both. I'm thinking of the the Rod Gray / Johnny Trigg class. Unfortunately, these things can get expensive.

Took the Paul Kirk Class and the Lotta Bull Class. Both very good. Paul's class goes through a lot of the basics of rubs, sauces and how a BBQ competition is run - we cooked, turned in and were judged (KCBS rules and some CBJ's), with awards given out. The Lotta Bull class was very good for those competing and wanting to learn and hear some new ideas. I got a lot from both. I'm thinking of the the Rod Gray / Johnny Trigg class. Unfortunately, these things can get expensive.

You're right, these classes aren't cheap, but the information provided can be very valuable. For $500 a person who participates gets not one, but two COMPLETE sets of competition proven recipes. Obviously I'm biased, but that's a steal. If someone walks away with only enough information to boost just one of his/her categories to consistently finish in the top ten, who wouldn't agree that a cooking class is money well spent? Honestly, it's more like an investment.

We're trying to put something together for your area (the east coast) this year. Once a location is determined, a date will follow shortly. The original plans were to come out to cook Norfolk again and stay the next weekend to host a class. No word on Norfolk so far, but the rumor mill says that it won't happen. Back to the drawing board. Thank you for considering our classes.

Rod

dr bbq

i think if you do an class in missouri it would be full in no time
i am near st louis and there are a bunch of teams in columbia (the center of the state) just an thought

york

In the past, Ray has conducted a spring class in Effingham, IL with the help of Mike in St. Louis. It's a great venue and I highly recommend that class. There is a nice hotel right across the street.

Rod

The QN4U class,I took that one and Brent and Kim Walton are great ! Probably took about 2-3 years off of learning and experiece and was a GREAT all around class.

I'm on sabbatical this year, mainly because I'm devastated by Ford's vicious comparison.
But I hope to do a couple comp classes again in 2009.

(I can be seen at The Greenbrier this year with Myron Mixon or Chris Lilly, but if you think Rod and Johnny are expensive........ Google BBQ Mastery)

Back