THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After a lot of reading here a guy can't help but be impressed with the many Big green Egg posts. And they are winning comps also right?

Before I assumed the bge was for yuppie granola eaters. I'm new, cut me some slack. I'm eyeballing a XL seriously.

I'm still fascinated w/ cabinet cookers like backwoods, superior, and spice. Backwoods, which is close to me has an 8 week wait, which is no good for summer plans.

You've got a lot of good advice here and I will add my .02 worth. I have a BGE Large and think it is one of the best cookers out there. It smokes, grills at high temp and bakes, and is the best pizza machine around. You have stated you are going to cook for a larger crowd and this machine by itself will not be large enough. You can add the after market racks and greatly extend its capacity and that would help. My vote would be a BGE and build a UDS, Best of both worlds, hope this helps, Larry

After a lot of reading here a guy can't help but be impressed with the many Big green Egg posts. And they are winning comps also right?

Before I assumed the bge was for yuppie granola eaters. I'm new, cut me some slack. I'm eyeballing a XL seriously.

I'm still fascinated w/ cabinet cookers like backwoods, superior, and spice. Backwoods, which is close to me has an 8 week wait, which is no good for summer plans.

Have you seen or considered a Stumps Smoker? They have "the baby" that is not far from your price range and it's a great smoker! :wink:
http://www.stumpssmokers.com/baby_stump.html

With a family of 6 he should have some one old enough to take on as an apprentice....:mrgreen:

Funny you should say this. My dad nominated me as the official night watchmen for his long cooks. I have some great memories sitting on the back patio with my old man tending the fire.

Thanks for the replies. "What should I Buy" questions are impossible I know. I should have asked "What have you used and liked or tried and disliked?"

I read enough BGE posts to get mad about it and drive to town to buy one. I had never seen one, but decided I had to have an XL. The store had one:

Wow man, that is one big mother. I am not sure what I expected, but that was not it. I may still get onboard, but by the time the sales person finished their song and dance I was confused. I left empty handed.

The store did not have a Large in stock to compare.

The search continues.

I think most of the folks on this forum were faced with the same situation at some time over the last few years.

I have a few cookers and all of them have their pros and cons. If cooking for a small family the egg is great, but volume is not gonna happen. The backwoods are priced right. I like the stumps but the price has exceeded the quality at this time. I bought mine three years ago and they are now $1000 more whilst the backwoods is about the same.

If you like tending a stick burner there are about 100 used ones in TX and all points in between. Them klose have the same problem as the stumps in that they are overpriced, not that either of them are not worth it, but definitely there is more bang for the buck out there.

There are 4 in my family so my egg gets a lot of use, but if you ever decide to get into a cookoff, one egg isn't gonna cut it and if you do use one in a comp, then you will have your hands full.

You also need to consider what your future plans are, comps or catering may have some impact on your choice.

I'm so appreciative for your replies and help.

I picked up a Large Egg. Pics to follow, it has been slow smoking all day! My first cook of ribs was a success.

I am "all in" now.

I also have a line on a sXs old school welded pit I hope to acquire also.

Last edited:
Back