THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rogwadd

Knows what a fatty is.
Would love some input from you guys...

But first, my contribution; this has always gone over very well:
===
Bean Dip

1.5 lbs hamburger
1 15 oz (or so) Jar of black bean dip. The more heat the better. You can use a can of refried beans and save a couple bucks; just adjust the seasoning to your taste.
4.5 oz taco sauce/picante (your preference)
1 can bean with bacon soup (Campbells)
1/4 cup brown sugar
(I've adjusted the following looking for the perfect amount of heat. If you go overboard, you can add more brown sugar)
1 tsp granulated garlic (powder or salt will do)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp each tabasco and chili powder to taste
salt to taste
===

Now my request. I'm going to do fudge from an Alton Brown recipe I've had luck with before. I want to add chili powder and need to get a fair idea of how much to add before I ruin it. I plan on doubling the recipe below:

Do I match the amount of vanilla?? Maybe 2 Tsp?

Ingredients
2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional
Directions

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter, half-and-half, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot. Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes or until it drops to 130 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte. Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Last edited:
Back