contest payout schedule

62 teams? At how much per entry fee? $225?
Which would equal $13,950 -- all in cash.
Just stating the painfully obvious.

Not to mention that some of those teams paid after the 3/31 deadline and paid and extra $25 AND the dessert and chili competitions (whose payout is included in the $10,000) carry an extra fee of $25 and $50 respectively.

It appears I was wrong

Here's the info on the Sanctioning packet. Any contest (within 90 days)currently on the KCBS website without a payout may not be in complkiance or the KCBS just hasn't updated the info. Either way the Office should be doing something. My highlights in red.

5. Guarantee and pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5 places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion. This amount may not be reduced after sanctioning and advertising. KCBS will only post total cash award amount and will not include non-monetary amounts. There are times when circumstances make it impossible to comply, such as the loss of a sponsor. Therefore it is the policy of KCBS that any time prior to 90 days from the date of the contest, an organizer may apply to the Board of KCBS asking for a modification of the cash prize money, upon the following terms:
a. The organizer must in writing, state the cause for the modification, and the Board must find good cause, such as loss of a sponsor, in order to grant the request.​
b. That all registered teams must be notified in writing (USPS) and by e-mail of the change and have an opportunity for a full refund, any time prior to 15 days before the contest date.
c. That immediately upon approval by KCBS all applications, advertising and websites of the contest, shall in a bold and conspicuous manner advertise the change and reduction in cash prize money.
21. It is further understood that any violation of the above conditions contained in this agreement, will at the sole option of KCBS cause this agreement to be null and void. In that event, KCBS will withdraw sanctioning and will not provide services to the Organizer. The Organizer will forfeit all monies and fees previously paid to KCBS.

End of quote.

As cooks we have an obligation to protect ourselves. Go to the KCBS website and make sure that contests within 90 days that you are going to, show a prize payout. If not write the KCBS office. I'd think less than 60 days you might want to copy the whole BOD.

It will be interesting to see what the BOD does on this. Clearly they are no in compliance and clearly they did change their advertised cash payout to cash and prizes. IMHO the BOD should say pay $10,000 cash or the KCBS will pull sanctioning. But they could say offer refunds to all and apply for a new prize guarantee. Of course that can only happen if the organizer is reading the rules and is attending the BOD meeting.

Now if the KCBS pulls sanctioning then will you still go?

Here's a link to the full document - remember you need to be signed in as a member of the KCBS. http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS 2010 Contest Application.pdf

Thanks Ford for you research.
Below is the email I've sent to the KCBS board of directors. Urge all involved to send a similar email.

To: Mike Lake" <mlake@kcbs.us <mlake@kcbs.us>>; "Carol Whitebook" <cwhitebook@kcbs.us <cwhitebook@kcbs.us>>; "Don Harwell" <dharwell@kcbs.us <dharwell@kcbs.us>>; "MIike BudiAI(KCBS Finance)" <mbudai@kcbs.us <mbudai@kcbs.us>>; "Merl Whitebook" <mwhitebook@kcbs.us <mwhitebook@kcbs.us>>; "Linda Mullane" <lmullane@kcbs.us <lmullane@kcbs.us>>; "Paul Kirk" <pkirk@kcbs.us <pkirk@kcbs.us>>; "Gene Goycochea" <ggoycochea@kcbs.us <ggoycochea@kcbs.us>>; "Wayne Lohman" <wlohman@kcbs.us <wlohman@kcbs.us>>; "Ed Roith" <eroith@kcbs.us <eroith@kcbs.us>>; "Tana Shupe" <tshupe@kcbs.us <tshupe@kcbs.us>>; "Carolyn Wells" <carolyn@kcbs.us <carolyn@kcbs.us>>; "Karen Walker" <kwalker@kcbs.us <kwalker@kcbs.us>>;

Subjuct: Wisconsin Dell's BBQ Bash May 21-22, 2010

Dear Board of Directors,

Respectfully want to bring to your attention the misleading actions of the organizers of an upcoming contest: Dell’s BBQ Bash. This competition is slated for May 21-22, 2010 in Wisconsin. Their web site has been up for many months and features “$10,000 in cash prizes”. Over 60 teams signed up and paid their $225 entry fee. Only after applications were mailed in and checks cashed, did an onerous list of rules get distributed; i.e., must buy any adult beverages from the local sponsor; no dogs; can’t leave until after 7PM Saturday “at the earliest”. If that weren’t bad enough, we discover a change on their web site only a few days ago. They now list a barely readable chart of “Cash/Prizes”. Low and behold, the $10,000 cash prizes turns out to be two thirds gift certificates to a local restaurant and outlet mall. Even the alleged cost of the trophies (over $100 each) is included in the prize value. (please see attachment of their newly posted "cash / prizes").

This is beyond deception – this is outright fraud.

Please take action with the Dell’s organizers to force them to either pay the “$10,000 cash prizes” as they have advertized on their web site or force them to refund application fees. Or, at the very least, pull sanctioning and take legal action. I quote from the KCBS sanctioning packet:

5. Guarantee and pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5 places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion. This amount may not be reduced after sanctioning and advertising. KCBS will only post total cash award amount and will not include non-monetary amounts. There are times when circumstances make it impossible to comply, such as the loss of a sponsor. Therefore it is the policy of KCBS that any time prior to 90 days from the date of the contest, an organizer may apply to the Board of KCBS asking for a modification of the cash prize money, upon the following terms:
a. The organizer must in writing, state the cause for the modification, and the Board must find good cause, such as loss of a sponsor, in order to grant the request.
b. That all registered teams must be notified in writing (USPS) and by e-mail of the change and have an opportunity for a full refund, any time prior to 15 days before the contest date.
c. That immediately upon approval by KCBS all applications, advertising and websites of the contest, shall in a bold and conspicuous manner advertise the change and reduction in cash prize money.

21. It is further understood that any violation of the above conditions contained in this agreement, will at the sole option of KCBS cause this agreement to be null and void. In that event, KCBS will withdraw sanctioning and will not provide services to the Organizer. The Organizer will forfeit all monies and fees previously paid to KCBS.

We compete in over 20 KCBS sanctioned events every year. We take confidence that these KCBS events are run in an honest and proper manner. Please don’t let this fraud go unattended.

Thank you in advance for attending to this matter.

Resectfully,

Walter and Theresa Munroe
Smokin’ Scotsmen BBQ
KCBS members

Nice job, Walt. I think an important thing to note is that the Gift Certificate to the local restaurant is actually to the organizer's own restaurant. Their cost in providing this is significantly less than the equivalent cash value, plus if the certificates are actually used they can show that as revenue for their business.

Very happy that we opted out of this one. What a screw job!:mad2:
Nice research job Ford, and great letter Walt! If it weren't a different state, I might consider filing a small claims complaint against the organizer, as the advertising for this was CLEARLY a blatant misrepresentation.

Talk about small print, that payout schedule requires a microscope to read!

Hopefully, there will be some sort of settlement to those who were misled, and we'll see some of you in Westmont the next week

Here is the reply I got from Tanya...not good...

Good Morning! Yes, some of the payout is in prize money (gift certificates) from our sponsors.

Thanks,
Tanya

Nice job, Walt. I think an important thing to note is that the Gift Certificate to the local restaurant is actually to the organizer's own restaurant. Their cost in providing this is significantly less than the equivalent cash value, plus if the certificates are actually used they can show that as revenue for their business.

Good catch, Ron. For those of you who might be writing to the KCBS board of directors, pointing out that one of the 'gift certificates' is actually from the organizer's own restaurant adds further insult to injury.

Man, that is BS. Gift certificates to their restaurant. Wow.

I am going to Steeleville this weekend, and some of their payout is for ancillary categories such as anything but, best shot, dessert. I don't like that, but I will say they were upfront about it and they don't charge extra to compete in those categories. Still, I'd prefer that if they say $10k in cash, that is all for the KCBS categories.

But this Dells contest is looking like a disaster. Glad I have a conflict. I hope you guys can get them to pay up or get a refund.

I just sent an email to the KCBS Board and Office, I urge all entered teams to do the same. Thanks Walt for sharing, I just copied your letter for reference and said I support it/asked them to act. Hope to at least get a reply...

Well I just sent my email to the board. Hopefully we'll get some action on this, it just isn't right.

Dear KCBS members and cooks,

I am pleased to say that the error which occurred concerning the Wisconsin Dells BBQ Bash has been corrected and the Organizer working with KCBS has resolved the issue.

Due to a misunderstanding and error in communication, the Organizer posted on its web site that the Wisconsin Dells contest would have over $10,000.00 in cash prizes awarded.

All of the correspondence with teams and with KCBS indicated that this sum was a combination of cash prize money and other gifts and awards.

Due to the error in communication, the Wisconsin Dells BBQ Bash and its organizers have guaranteed the payment of Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) in cash prize money to be awarded at the contest.

KCBS recognizes the importance of guarantied prize money to the competitors and appreciates the efforts of the Wisconsin Dells BBQ Bash to provide for the participants. KCBS wishes to extend the best of luck to all the competitors.

The Organizer wishes to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

KCBS is confident this will be another great Wisconsin Contest as it has been in the past and is proud to sanction this event.

Merl Whitebook
Secretary,
KCBS Board of Directors.

Note to moderator: This is posted above as well. Due to the time sensitive nature, could leave the double post for 24 hours. Thank you.
Merl

Pete,
It is the organization. A great professional staff at KCBS and a Board who looks out to insure fairness for all.

Now next time someone asks why a member of KCBS this is one more example.

Thank you.
Merl

What about the big KCBS announcement for today? My understanding is the BOD doesn't know what it is either? According to a post on another Forum... Is it driving you crazy as well not knowing like it is with me? :doh:

Huge thanks for the prompt action by Merl and the Board of Directors. I speak for many bbq teams who greatly appreciate the actions taken.

Walt and Theresa

Huge thanks for the prompt action by Merl and the Board of Directors. I speak for many bbq teams who greatly appreciate the actions taken.

Walt and Theresa

Big thanks to the KCBS from the middle of Wisconsin---and to Coz for bringing this to my attention!!

Back