Contest oddities

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I just signed up to judge a small town Iowa BBQ Society sponsored backyard contest in July. I have backed off large, expensive, judge blaming KCBS events to just a couple favorites this year and am looking at doing 3 or more backyarders.
I find the smaller, local, less expensive (to the cooks) events to hold more of the BBQ spirit we all started out enjoying. There seem to be a lot more smiles and less table naming results. It just appears to be more fun for everyone.

Anyway, on to the subject of the thread. This particular contest will be cooking chicken, ribs, MYSTERY MEAT, and ice cream (in the middle of July no less).
All meat provided by a sponsor.
Cooking with wood, wood pellets, charcoal, gas or electric!
No garnish.
Scored 1 thru 5 for appearance, taste, tenderness.

Looks interesting to me.
So are there any contest oddities in any of the rest of the country this season?
Ed

Not sure of any oddities in my neck of the woods. I plan to do 5 KCBS and then 2-3 backyard competitions around my home. One of them is chicken, ribs and Pork and the other 2 are only ribs and Pork. I enjoy all of the venues and actually find the KCBS to be easier to prepare for even though the competition is generally more difficult. You never know what the judges of backyard competitions are looking for in terms of flavor or tenderness.

Back