container grown habaneros

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Mark
Lots of discussion lately about habanero jelly for glazing ribs and such. Seems the stuff is pretty expensive. But given you grow your own habaneros, making jelly out of them is pretty cheap and easy. Here's a link for some recipes: http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/htm/jams.htm

As far as growing habaneros is concerned, you may recall my posts to the old yahooo group about this. Now I have some pictures that describe the fruits of this labor. Here is the link:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/mod...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Assuming there is an interest in more of the specifics let me know and I'll provide them.

Mark (STL)

Oh theres interest all right.

After this weekend, I might be a jelly convert, at least for the wibs.

I just checked out the links you gave.

Looks like my next investment will be in a food processor.

Do you grow your Habs year round, or just in summer? We are going to get down in the 40's this week at night, so my outdoor season is over.

I have some Hab flakes given to me from being home grown and dried in the oven. What do you do with yours?

If you were to make those Atomic Buffalo Turds with them, pure nuclear waste would come out the other end.

To address Bill's questions:

1: I take the containerized habs indoors between the first and last frost. I start all my peppers from seed in January.

2a: I use fresh or fresh-frozen habs in jelly, salsa & tabasco-style hot sauce.

2b: I smoke dry habs in my BD and also use them in salsa & tabasco-style hot sauce (cut with carrot, onion & garlic).

2c: Smoke dried, then oven dried till there is nothing pliable, I then powder them in my blender and use them in rubs, salsa & sauce.

As for buffalo turds, I also grow poblano peppers (both in the ground & containerized). I've not done buffalo turds yet but I plan to soon using this year's poblano's. Having not done turds yet, how about some advice?

Here's the text from my original post (5513) back on 8/16/2003

I noticed that many of you use hot peppers in your Qing. And you drink beer thus producing high quality "liquid organic ferilizer" (LOF). So this might be of interest to you. I've been using the method described in the following link (but slightly modified) to grow hot cherry, habanero, poblano and jalapeno peppers (etc.) with great results. http://journeytoforever.org/garden_con-mexico.html

The modification is the use of a 2'length of ABS pipe (about 1" dia) that I drill numerous holes into within the lower half. It also serves as a stake for tying the pepper stalks to and is where I apply water/LOF. I also thickly mulch the surface with grass clippings to retain moisture and eliminate weeds. And I use more soil than they call for.

In the winter, the containered pepper plants can be brought indoors, placed under grow lighs and/or by a south facing window and then returned outdoors when the weather permits. As it turns out, peppers are perennials.

Mark
I am laughing my ass off, only cuz I can't believe it.

First I thought you were kidding about pissing on your plants.

Then I went to the link.

OMG!

Standing out in the yard, pissing on the plants.

Brian, this system is for you!

If you would rather buy "Miracle Grow," you can forget the "LOF." I use both (still need phosphorus (P) and potassium (K)).

I don't literally piss on my plants and recommend against it. I water them and sometimes add a good whiz to the watering can.

Mark (STL) keeping it real

Getting back on track; I sometimes use the dried powder in my marinades as well.

Mark (STL)

brd1958 said:
I managed to keep it in the grass, I think. :lol:

Now Phil knows why he has dark green spots all over the back yard.
Gary

Thanks Mark

I had a couple good seed sites for peppers (at least they seemed good, never ordered) Wanted to do this last summer.

You got me interested, and I think I will start a batch in January

Mark said:
What types of peppers are you interested in growing? I might be able to supply you some seeds for free.

Growing good pepper plants from seed requires a bit of work.
See http://www.batnet.com/rwc-seed/Pepper.growing.tips.html

Mark (STL)

Poblanos, Japs, maybe a few habenero. Really want to recreate that Hab jelly stuff. I'm not looking for pure heat, just stuff with some flavor.

I'll check these sites and let you know the varieties I'm looking to try. I like Anaheims, but I read how there are so many that are just off shoots of the same pepper, just called different things.

My homemade hab jelly has a kick similar to "atomic fireball" candy. If you can imagine sucking on one of those with a hint of fruity vinegar, you've got the idea.

I can cover any and all of the seeds you mentioned. However, note that poblano's & habenero's require really long times to get fruit; up to 125 days. Thats why I start them in January. Therefore, consider the last statement on the pepperfools seeds links for thy hybrid hab seeds since you live in Chicago

New Product:
#434 Habanero Orange Devil 60 days. green, 70 days deep orange. First hybrid Habanero. It tends to suffer less in cool conditions than regular Habanero. Productive, thin walled. Loads up early with 1X1¼ in.
Sounds like something us short season gardeners could use.

Mark said:
Lots of discussion lately about habanero jelly for glazing ribs and such. Seems the stuff is pretty expensive. But given you grow your own habaneros, making jelly out of them is pretty cheap and easy.

Grow lots of Habs here in Wisc--put plants out about the end of may and am harvesting them now--actually deer ate about 30 plants in my yard so a buddy just dropped off aobut 30habs so I can get started making jelly--will pic up a pail of habs at farmer mkt to make a supply of hot sauce--habs usually grow pretty darn good in my part of the north country

see ya

Buzz

Chilehead deer! Whoda thunk it? Ever consider smoked deer sausage? Only seems fair.

Mark (STL)

I just had to pitch 2 pounds or ground venison last week when I defrosted the full size freezer in the garage. They were UFO's on the bottom left there for a few years.

Wife doesn't like the smell when I add it in chili. She won't even try it.

Wait till I load up the Chili with some home grown peppers!

Do you think it smells different? If it does, then she's probably right as the meat's probably gone or at least going bad. As far as adding home-grown peppers, smoke-dried Poblano's are incredible in Chili. That and lots of cumin (real cheap at Indian grocery stores). Careful about adding habs if you expect anyone else to eat it let alone like it.

Mark (STL)

PS: speaking about ground venison, I think I'll start a new topic to inquire about sausage making.

Mark said:
Chilehead deer! Whoda thunk it? Ever consider smoked deer sausage? Only seems fair.

We ahve a real problem with them city whitetails here in our small town---it isn't unusual to see one of them rats under my front window munching on the Hosta's---varmints with horns they are for sure!!
Of courtse can't hunt in city limits BUT am itching to try out my new 17HMR lever action
then talk about CWD
see ya

Buzz

2Fat said:
Mark said:

We ahve a real problem with them city whitetails here in our small town---it isn't unusual to see one of them rats under my front window munching on the Hosta's---varmints with horns they are for sure!!
Of courtse can't hunt in city limits BUT am itching to try out my new 17HMR lever action
then talk about CWD
see ya

Buzz
two words: bow & arrow

Mark (STL)

PS ever try overwintering your habs?
PSS I've smoked deer sausage & it was great.

Back