Congrats to Slap Yo' Daddy

Big Congrats to Harry Benny and SYD!!! I know you guys have been after the magic # 7 and going to the Jack. Congrats to my good friends BPS too, you are having a great year!

7 in a year is especially grueling out here on the west coast where you have to travel hundreds of miles just for the "local" contests. We consider anything under 4 hours drive "close to home", and 6-8 hour drives are very common for teams. SyD has been traveling thousands of miles to get those 7 wins, while still holding down a day job. The level of competition out here has also been getting higher and higher, so nothing is a sure thing.

7 GC's is grueling in any part of the country but it seems like the past couple of years R&Q and SYD are making it almost commonplace out there on the left coast!

Big kudos once again! Have fun in the Holler!

Agreed. Was just trying to point out that in the west, distances between contests if further than some other parts of the country where BBQ is more deeply seeded in the culture. Both teams you mention have been tearing it up and are always a force to be reckoned with!

Thanks to everyone who has posted here and on other sites. Harry cooked at this contest with Peter Graves who lives in the PHX area. Peter has a complete set of equipment and it permitted Harry to fly in and cook while our regular equipment was parked in Oakland CA for a contest there next weekend. From what I heard, Peter is now short an E-Z Up after this contest.
It was sad for me to stay home this weekend and miss number 7 but we have been cooking almost every weekend since early April and I had to take care of permitting process for a new roof. The results this weekend will give me some time to compete on my own as Funtime BBQ again as SYD can finally slow down.

Benny

Congrats Benny...enjoy your well deserved break! See ya in Whistler...:thumb:

Thanks for everyone's well wishes and support. The Holbrook contest was an awesome event! Many thanks to Tommy Duncan, His Dad, Emily, volunteers, K&K, and judges.
Congrats to Big Poppa for RC and all who walked. The piece of pecan they gave us did the trick I think. Owe ya one Big Boppa.
A big shout out to Cameron of Bam Bam BBQ for 1st place pork on his very first outing. Great story that he used our SYD pulled pork recipe I posted on my site for Independence Day weekend.
We watched in awe as the sudden wind blew our EZ Up towards the sky and did a red baron spiral destruction dive to the ground.
A thousand thanks for Peter Graves who helped out and loaned me his equipment. I "smurfed" one of his WSM so next time you see him cook, ask him about the stupid thing Harry did with the blanket! This was a special event for us! Thanks Tommy for the big bottle of Jack which we shared with those who stayed behind!
Harry

----------------------------------------------
Whoa, what a rush! It sure was a privilege to help Harry this time around. While the seasoned pros might be able to get the feel of things during the calls, it was a nail biter for me. My hands were shaking afterwards. They still are...

We were having trouble in the rain and relative cold keeping pit #1 at temperature so Harry decided to wrap it with his insulating blanket. Unfortunately, he grabbed his drop cloth instead which promptly stained my smoker blue. I guess I'll be known now as the guy with the blue "smurf" WSM.

That microburst came down just as we were repositioning my trusty orange Honda Element and literally ripped the canopy out of Harry's hands. It took out Butthead BBQ's camp as well while Big Poppa's Airstream looked cool during all of this.

Peter

thanks again harry and I want that pecan back you just borrowed it...dont tell me its ashes either! ahahah

Nice to see Harry and Benny get their chance at the Jack. Them and the Big Poppa team who RC at this event are two teams that represent the West coast well.

Apparently the Jack Daniels is not recognizing SOS's Langley, BC Canada GC from September 2010. The 7 wins must be US events.

This SUCKS!

Wow, I thought it had to be "scantioned" contest that met guidelines...Guess when Harry & Benny become Good Ole Boys they will get in, or Maybe the folks at the Jack are just Straight Up...Well, I guess I better hold my Tongue or I will never get to judge it...Oh thats right you have to be a celebrity to do that!

I recall someone saying the Jack Rules were "clear as mud".

Apparently you can still win a PNWBA Sanctioned Canadian qualifying event and be eligible for the Jack draw from your home state.

Maybe??

I recall someone saying the Jack Rules were "clear as mud".

Apparently you can still win a PNWBA Sanctioned Canadian qualifying event and be eligible for the Jack draw from your home state.

Maybe??

Back