Competitions

The competition section of this forum is really for folks that compete, judge, are interested in competing, and interested in gaining more information about competing.

By your own admission, you fit none of those descriptions. Yet you decide to start your post off in the competition section of the forum essentially criticizing those that use commercially made products during competitions. How could that be any more ignorant? That would be like me going on the bradycampaign.org forum and posting my own personal opinion, since I am a Life member of the NRA, without intending "anything personal" while posting my unopinionated views on second amendment rights.

What exactly were you trying to start, clarify, or flame-up? Being a non-competitior and a non-judge, you came into a competition forum and simply made a blanket statement. You didn't ask any questions about anything. What was the point of your original post if not simply to cause dissention? Your best choice of action would have been to apologize for making comments about something you know nothing about, yet now you seem overtly indignant that forum members who are competitors aren't going to tolerate your perpetual ignorance.

Mod Note:

Let's keep this civil. Apologies have been made and points have been made on both sides. Any further discussion should avoid name calling and accusations or the thread will be locked.

I see Vipers point, and understand that relying on a commercially made product does put you at a disadavantage in some regards. Especially since small companies are having some tough times. I also can and do make my own rubs and sauces, when I decided to, and they can be quite good.

In terms of competitions, most of the cooks I know rarely enter a new season doing exactly the same thing they did the year before, almost all of them go through a winnowing and tasting process each year to determine what they are going to do for that year. Many will even change tracks mid-year if results are not there.

But, at the end of the day, competitions are pretty serious stuff for most folks, and when you are spending $400 or more per weekend to compete, you are gonna be pretty intense about thinking you are a good cook and belong there.

Back