Competition trailer question

I will advise you to not go cheap if you are going to enter competition bbq unless you are only doing it to be around a great bunch of individuals. We don't have an enormous amount of money involved in equipment but buy good meat. We use a school bus to haul equipment, prepare meat,sleep and stay out of the elements of the weather. Works great and original cost of bus was 1625 four years ago. I would be afraid to pull that trailer down the road loaded.

I know the rules say not to hijack a thread. But what if the OP himself hijacks the thread?:crazy:

Sorry I had to say it :becky:

I will advise you to not go cheap if you are going to enter competition bbq unless you are only doing it to be around a great bunch of individuals. We don't have an enormous amount of money involved in equipment but buy good meat. We use a school bus to haul equipment, prepare meat,sleep and stay out of the elements of the weather. Works great and original cost of bus was 1625 four years ago. I would be afraid to pull that trailer down the road loaded.

That's not a bad idea using a bus. Do you need a special license to drive a bus?

I know the rules say not to hijack a thread. But what if the OP himself hijacks the thread?:crazy:

That's not a bad idea using a bus. Do you need a special license to drive a bus?

schoolbus.gif

Come on I think I would look bad arse barreling down the highway in a school bus. Maybe a bit scary for everyone around me but fun for me.

Tduffy just got to ask do you really spend more than $200 on a brisket?

I will say that most teams consistently winning in brisket are. Whether or not diva Q uses them is besides the point. Just look at her brisket scores the last 2 years and take it for what it is. I'm not bashing her, it's personally my worst category.

Back on track, an old school bus might be a great option for you considering you are cooking on wsm and barrels. Could have a sleep area and prep area with an RV AC on top.

Save up a few more dollars and get one of the inexpensive single axle utility trailers that already has a wood floor, then sell it and upgrade when you're ready. You can find them all over CL for less than $600...heck, I just sold one for $450 when we got our enclosed utility trailer from a fellow BBQ friend. If you ask around, you will find a great deal on something used from another competitor...that is how we upgraded so quickly.

Or...you can save your money and keep rocking the tent. We did two tents for 2 1/2 years in this Georgia heat; now that we have A/C and a trailer, I'm not sure how we did it, but we did manage.

And, off topic, yes people do spend that much on briskets...I paid $11 more than you paid for that trailer for the two Wagyu briskets I picked up for our next contests. It's not an inexpensive hobby by any means...

Get you a mini school bus on a Van chassis. Don't go over 27 feet long so you can have room to park in most bbq sites. No you don't have to have a special licenses to drive one if the stop sigh is removed from the side of the bus. Find one with a handicap lift and you can load most any smoker. My smoker weighs 560 lbs and the lift works fine.

TDuffy said that people cook briskets that cost more than $200 and well I was shocked and said I was taught that brisket grade doesn't matter by DivaQ and would cry if I had to spend that then DUBBAGA said he would be shocked if that was the case and well I agreed I chit my pants probably every time she spoke in her class.

Best darn money I have ever spent was her class.

You must have spent a lot of time in the bathroom during the class with all of the pants chitting you did. Save your money and get a decent trailer or a truck. Or see if any friends/family members would be willing to loan you their truck or trailer in exchange for leftover pork or brisket or whatever.

Rusty, you are constantly throwing the Diva Q class at us...Here is my question was it a backyard class? Every time you say something it seems to be related to backyard contests and what Diva Q did at her class and how her way is the best way. I can tell you I took a class from 2 very successful well known teams and they were not exactly the same in their techniques. A class I did not get to take this year but really wanted to was Cancer sucks class. 4 different instructors and I bet money that they all had their own techniques. Back to Diva, have you watched her TV shows. In the credits it even says thanks to her brisket providers, might have been creekstone but I am pretty sure it was SRF WAGYU. So if I am right a couple things dont go together your class and her show. Honestly you have gotten so much free advice class worthy from numerous pro cooks perhaps you should heed some of that advice and not go by one absolute. I know on any given day any brisket can win, but it is the consistancy and who you cook against that should determine what is best for your cook.

Now on to trailer, I have a camper that has been stripped out to a bbq trailer. A/C full size fridge prep areas etc. I was having truck issues so for one contest I wanted to try to go back to old school. Even downsizing with my 3 WSM's and coolers canopies etc. I needed more room than the back of my truck. Not much but more so we rented a 4x6 Uhaul. It did indeed haul my needs and was a good tie down for my canopy. And for me impossible but my 4ft 11 wife sat in it and made our boxes at turn in when it was storming like an SOB, truth a few people took pictures. Anyways the rental cost $15 a day so if trying to be basic and looking to upgrade in a year or two think how many contests you plan on doing and then take $15 x2(Friday-Saturday) so $30 x contests =..........or think how much you might plan on putting into that trailer you have, then think which is a better value. BTW U haul has bigger trailers too for a couple dollars more I was just using my first hand example.

Travis, did you bring your trailer to the Whiting, Iowa 4th of July contest? If so, when you are ready to go in a different direction let me know because the size you have is exactly what I am looking for after this year.

Rusty, you are constantly throwing the Diva Q class at us...Here is my question was it a backyard class? Every time you say something it seems to be related to backyard contests and what Diva Q did at her class and how her way is the best way. I can tell you I took a class from 2 very successful well known teams and they were not exactly the same in their techniques. A class I did not get to take this year but really wanted to was Cancer sucks class. 4 different instructors and I bet money that they all had their own techniques. Back to Diva, have you watched her TV shows. In the credits it even says thanks to her brisket providers, might have been creekstone but I am pretty sure it was SRF WAGYU. So if I am right a couple things dont go together your class and her show. Honestly you have gotten so much free advice class worthy from numerous pro cooks perhaps you should heed some of that advice and not go by one absolute. I know on any given day any brisket can win, but it is the consistancy and who you cook against that should determine what is best for your cook.

Now on to trailer, I have a camper that has been stripped out to a bbq trailer. A/C full size fridge prep areas etc. I was having truck issues so for one contest I wanted to try to go back to old school. Even downsizing with my 3 WSM's and coolers canopies etc. I needed more room than the back of my truck. Not much but more so we rented a 4x6 Uhaul. It did indeed haul my needs and was a good tie down for my canopy. And for me impossible but my 4ft 11 wife sat in it and made our boxes at turn in when it was storming like an SOB, truth a few people took pictures. Anyways the rental cost $15 a day so if trying to be basic and looking to upgrade in a year or two think how many contests you plan on doing and then take $15 x2(Friday-Saturday) so $30 x contests =..........or think how much you might plan on putting into that trailer you have, then think which is a better value. BTW U haul has bigger trailers too for a couple dollars more I was just using my first hand example.

Travis, did you bring your trailer to the Whiting, Iowa 4th of July contest? If so, when you are ready to go in a different direction let me know because the size you have is exactly what I am looking for after this year.

Yep, I had my trailer in Whiting. When the season winds down and I start the process of finding my next trailer, I will let you know.

Back