Competition: Spares or Baby Backs??

I prefer spares when cooking at home. When I'm judging, it doesn't matter which cut I get as long as they are meaty! A rib with not much meat on it isn't really much of an entry, is it?

Start with good meaty ribs...then it it is not what you cook Backs, Spares...it is how you cook them...

If you cook them right, the Judges will reward you...

That said, I've got Backs on the Backwoods for my Brother in Law who has Lou Gehrig's and requested a special cook...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

we've gotten calls with both spares and bb's....when we've done badly, it was usually cuz we overcooked the ribs...personally I don't think it matters whether you use st louis cut ribs or babies.

We started out in '06 using BB's in comps, but exclusively went to St Louis Spares in '08. The change, for our team, has been 100% worth it.

We also use the trimmed rib tips as Peoples Choice samples and each competition rack easily pays for itself twice over.

Best of luck!!

We had our worst finish ever in the Ribs category trying spares. I think if you just get baby backs with straight bones to put in a box they look just as good if not better than spares for presentation. They usually have a more consistent fat content and taste.

Back