Competition Results

Cap5233

Got Wood.
First off, big thank you to all the brethren. This site has been invaluable. Anyways, had a competition this weekend in Orlando and this was the first one where I had to cook all 4 categories.
IMG_0322.jpg
The overall cook went well but my chicken took on a weird form while cooking and the pit temp spiked so I figured chicken would be a lost cause. Here is a pick of the prepped chicken and the turn in box
IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg
Butt and ribs cooked up just the way I wanted.
IMG_0332.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
And finally the brisket. Oh the brisket....I was terrified and had done a few practice attempts but were not totally in love with the results. On this one I pulled it just like you all say "probe tender". It had a nice little wobble in the flat and I thought maybe I did it. After a rest, I was very pleased with the results
IMG_0333.jpg
So finally the awards came.......I got a call in chicken, 2nd as a matter of fact. I kept asking the mc if she had that right. I guess the taste made up for the non uniform appearance. After this I also go a call in ribs (3rd), pork (3rd), and a first in brisket. I knew I was in the running at this point for grand champion and sure enough I took home the hardware.
IMG_0334.jpg

Still cant believe it and I cant wait for my next competition.

I did cook on both wsm. Ran the brisket on the big amd the butt on the small. When the ribs were ready, the butt and brisket were wrapped so I threw them on the 22 inch bottom level with ribs up top. Let the small one come up to a higher temp for the chicken and only did the chicken on that till it's turn in. Then I was able to get the small temp down and finished the brisket on it.

Also this was my second competition but only the first with all four categories. The other I did only had chicken and ribs (backyard)

Great job! I think the chicken looks pretty even, and looks good, except there is no KCBS parsley garnish in that box. :grin::caked:

In your boxes I didn't see garnish. I would love to turn in non garnished boxes at a KCBS and do that well. Congrats and maybe I will stay away from the garnish next time.

Back