Competition ready?

I am trying the brisket at the firefighter comp because the event is just for ribs/burgers. The brisket has been aging for about a month however and I need to get it cooked.

Especially when youre doing a 15 lb brisket or 19 lb of pork shoulder for a family bbq. Yeah. Hello caffeine. To make it better, an emotionally disturbed guy ran into our backyard at 5 in the morning with cops in tow.

I think you could probably do it on one 22.5 WSM, but if that is your plan, you need to practice the whole cook at least a couple of times before you get there. As others have said, timing is very important, and practice will allow you to know if you can meet the neccessary timing with the space you have. I would probably take the brinkman with you too. If turn-ins are spaced out like KCBS, it is always nice to have a separate chicken cooker if everything else is running behind on your main cooker.

So we are planning our first competition in August. It has entry for Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Pork Ribs, and Chicken. 6+1 pieces to enter for the judges. Based on this, from your experiences, how much of each should I cook, and realisticly on a poor mans budget, how many smokers would we need for all of it. I am getting a WSM 22.5 but even with all of its cooking area, doubt it will be enough. Any tips, advice and general knowledge is greatly appreciated.

-Semper Q

Hope you have a good time. Are you saying "6+1" because you want the table captain to have a piece? If so don't be fixated on 7 if you don't have 7 good pieces to put in the box. Especially on chicken and ribs. Pork and brisket is easier to get more in.

Welcome to the BBQ comp world. I would us at least 2 WSM. As for how much to cook . We cook 4 butts ( at least 8lbs or more) , 2 Briskets ( at least 15 lbs each) , 6 racks St Louis ribs and 24 chicken thighs . If you are on a budget I would do 2 butts, 1 brisket, 2 racks of ribs and 12 chicken.

I have a team of three other guys. Im doing a firefighter comp next friday that is just ribs but im gonna be bringing out a small brisket anyway just to get a feeling of it on the weber. My only smoker ive used so far (a year) has been a hand me down which a friend from work gave me. It is a 18" Brinkman. He said that if u can cook on that thing then you can cook on anything. Although I would have to monitor it every 15-20 mins to control temp, Ive never had anyone tell me that anything that Ive made on it hasnt come out good.

the wsm is going to be a walk in the park compared to that brinkman you have. you going to love it.

I personally cook 1 brisket, 2 butts, 6 racks of ribs, or 3 racks if the cryo looks great, and 20 thighs.

I used to cook 2 briskets, but decided to quit buying 2 from discount clubs, and rather cook 1 brisket that was better quality for the same price.

Back