Competition Questions

backdraftbbq

Full Fledged Farker
I'm looking to sign up for more comps this year and I'd like to get some insight on the following ones:

5/6/16 Smoke in the Valley, Green Lane, PA
8/5/16 Pit at the Park, Macungie, PA
8/12/16 Maryland State BBQ Bash, Bel Air, MD
8/12/16 The Best BBQ Chef Competition, New London, CT
8/26/16 New Holland Summer Fest, New Holland, PA
8/26/16 The Great Catskill Mountain BBQ Fest, Fleischmanns, NY
9/17/17 Que by the Sea, Seaside Heights, NJ
10/28/16 Commander Brew N Cue

If any of them aren't worthwhile going to, positives or negatives, anything else that might help me decide. Most comps are new to me this year as I only did Bear's, Red, White & Que and Atlantic City.

Seaside is a block from the beach and a sat/sunday comp. I'd go for that one. New Holland is a great contest in Amish country, but there is likely a waiting list. Bel Air is also a good contest, but room is limited and its more of a party environment. Green Lane is always a well run contest. Don't know about the others.

I have tow more that I was considering:

6/3/16 Que for the Troops, Levittown, PA
6/25/16 America's Barbeque Championship, Washington, DC

I have to agree with Dan on those assessments....Seaside is nice but you are shoehorned into your spots, the same with Bel Air. Don't go over your provided area. Be sure you are comfortable driving in tight spots with a trailer, if you have one. In Seaside, expect a visitor or three around 2am when the local bars let out, always a lot of fun. At Bel Air, the local Bail Bonds place has a huge party that usually spill over into the competitor area.

That Ocean City comp is a first year comp, so don't know what to say about that.

Que for the Troops is a good one. Well-run, nice space, family friendly. Usually around 60 or so teams, so definitely some pretty stiff competition. Worth-while payouts, if that's a consideration. You might also want to check out the Hudson Valley Ribfest in New Paltz, NY (August).

Smoke in the Valley (Green Lane) and Best BBQ Chef (New London) are on my "go every year" list.

Smoke in the Valley has a really friendly group of organizers. Best BBQ is in a unique venue right on the water.

Que for the Troops is nice venue, had very uneven judging last year though, not sure I will go again.

New Holland has a waiting list every year, you may not get in.

Back