Competition Crossroads

She just figured that they would of only of had pulled pork or sliced brisket... Figuring that burnt ends were a KC staple and unless you are a die hard BBQ guy, probably have never heard or tasted them...

She just figured that they would of only of had pulled pork or sliced brisket... Figuring that burnt ends were a KC staple and unless you are a die hard BBQ guy, probably have never heard or tasted them...
I can see how you would want to adjust what is presented based on the CBJ percentage... My question is where did you come up with that percentage?

The organizer told us that he had 5 CBJ's... As he was originally telling us he had 11...

If you see that a comp is having a CBJ class before a contest. I have found that the scores will be whacked the next day at a contest... Honestly, I would rather them pull judges off the street than have 100% new CBJ's...

If you see that a comp is having a CBJ class before a contest. I have found that the scores will be whacked the next day at a contest... Honestly, I would rather them pull judges off the street than have 100% new CBJ's...
That's when I pull out my Famous Dave's recipes.....

First decide if you want to cook or compete. If you just want to be out there and need the money to do it, then cooking for 80 people is fine. Nothing wrong with that. If you want good scores... dump the crowd as fast as you can. Streamline to just the things and activities you need to WIN the contest. This may actually save you some money that can turn into product or entry fees.

Sounds like you want to be more competitive, so I'd say dump the extracurriculars as fast as you can, enter as many contests as you can afford, look for ways afford more, and work by yourself if you can't find a worthy companion. I'm fortunate to have two great guys (Randy & Andy) who can step in at any time as a Plowboy. However, I go it completely alone several times a year.

First decide if you want to cook or compete. If you just want to be out there and need the money to do it, then cooking for 80 people is fine. Nothing wrong with that. If you want good scores... dump the crowd as fast as you can. Streamline to just the things and activities you need to WIN the contest. This may actually save you some money that can turn into product or entry fees.

Sounds like you want to be more competitive, so I'd say dump the extracurriculars as fast as you can, enter as many contests as you can afford, look for ways afford more, and work by yourself if you can't find a worthy companion. I'm fortunate to have two great guys (Randy & Andy) who can step in at any time as a Plowboy. However, I go it completely alone several times a year.

The lesson to be learned here is that if you need a stand-in for a team member, look for someone who has a name that rhymes with "Randy". :lol:

Don't forget to turn in overcooked ribs too. Non CBJs like falling off the bone ribs

My wife and I are a team. I used to have a team of three cooks. Each of the three of us had a different level of dedication. My skill (or the way I see my skill) out paced theirs and I am having a lot more fun competing this way.

Back