competition & commercial smokers

Backwoods Competitor is a solid cooker and can probably handle all your requirements.

Backwoods competitior
8 shelves 19.5 X 19.5 (3 inches apart - not enough space for brisket or pork butt)

Both have pros and cons. Just gotta figure out what is important to you.

This is true. If you are loading with butts 4 racks of 4 butts is about the most you can do unless you order with extra sliders, then you could get in 6 racks at 4.5 inches apart = 24 butts. Add convection and 6 butts per rack might be cookable for commericial/catering - not for competition.

This is true. If you are loading with butts 4 racks of 4 butts is about the most you can do unless you order with extra sliders, then you could get in 6 racks at 4.5 inches apart = 24 butts. Add convection and 6 butts per rack might be cookable for commericial/catering - not for competition.
thanx to all for the info & the help. that backwoods sounds just about right capacity & weightwise.

btw-i guess it got lost in translation- what i meant about the lack of good smoke ring is what the people @ southern pride told me about their dh-65 model:icon_blush:

Blues n clues asks:
i'm mainly concerned w/ doing 8-12 10lb butts @ 1 time or upto 10 full slabs of ribs. talking about doing this 3 days a week. what do you think- capacity & longivety of that unit?

Each rack should hold 3 full slabs - the racks are 19.5 x 19.5 - the inside measurements of the cabinet are 20 x 20 inches. So it can hold up to 24 or 16 butts at one time. Below is a pic with 15 racks of babies and 40 lbs of loin and another with 16 pork butts.

Longevity - that I do not know. But I purchased my competitor used, it's over 3 years old and looks new. Granted, it hasn't been used but a few times a month. You can call Mike McGowan directly and he'll be able to give you a good indication on what to expect. His about us link is below.

http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/about.htm

The Competitor is easy to use. Coal and wood into the charcoal tray, let it get up to temp, adjust the dampers, add the water and put the food in and shut the door. Add a Guru and come back 6 hours later to check butts and see if they're ready for foil or not.

Attachments

• Compfullsm.JPG
    Compfullsm.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 79
  • comp with butts.jpg
    comp with butts.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Competitor1smcr.JPG
    Competitor1smcr.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 80
I think I'm going to start hitting up Mike for some commissions. :rolleyes: I had another guy tell me he was ordering one last week too.
Hmm good idea KC, I've been doing the same myself over the last few months. I am tossing around the idea of getting myself a BWS Competitor for catering. The only thing is I want a nice looking trailer set up and unfortunately do not weld nor want to pay a welder. I have also been looking at the big stick burners like the Klose and Langs...

Good luck with your decision blues_n_cues, there is some good info above.

I don't think you'll find a Stumps anywhere near 350. The Elite 4 will go around 400-450, and that is as small as they come now. You could try and pick up an old CM or GF 222. they would probably be about 350 or a little less.

Hmm good idea KC, I've been doing the same myself over the last few months.

Something like a referral program that awards points based on the dollar spend for the referral. :icon_bigsmil If at the least, the points could go to deductions on future purchases or add on options. I could use a heat deflecter for starters. Or even to directly help out sales, some assistance with sponsorships.

Last edited:
For those of us who cook in our backyards AND compete i don't think that there one smoker that does everything, hell look at what poobah has, I'd like to have about half of those. I just ordered a smoker from Peoria Custom Cookers after looking at spices,backwoods,langs,austinationals,FEC's, and a whole lot more, all of which are fine smokers. For me it was a compromise for what I could do and what I wanted to do. No disrespect intended but ask Jay and he'll tell you that you can't fit a whole pig in one of his smokers, but I could in a lang. That being said for me, since I would like to cater and cook at home and compete what do I choose? I would have to give up my trailer with a lang to compete a comp, but I could cook a whole pig at home for a party if I wanted. So it's kinda what do you want and what can you live without????

exactly. i had to look @ what i could pull in my catering trailer, weight(gas consumption on the vehicle),since i vend more than compete-capacity, & labor intensity.seems the best bang for my buck. plus, i've not heard of anyone burning 1 out....:-D. thanx for all the help folks. now just the wait to get it.....

All due respect,. I have cookers that will cook a whole hog but they are not standard models. They are custom.:wink:

All due respect,. I have cookers that will cook a whole hog but they are not standard models. They are custom.:wink:

Jay, Here's an 80# pig in Ginny. Took one of the racks out - no problem. That may not look that appetitizing but it was unbelievable. Lasted maybe 40 minutes for the whole block, friends, and family to devour the thing. We eat a lot of meat in this area.

IMG_2770 post.JPG

exactly. i had to look @ what i could pull in my catering trailer, weight(gas consumption on the vehicle),since i vend more than compete-capacity, & labor intensity.seems the best bang for my buck. plus, i've not heard of anyone burning 1 out....:-D. thanx for all the help folks. now just the wait to get it.....

I can't think of a more complete cooker than the Spicewine. Cooking surface wise it as good or better than any out there for the price. I did 36 briskets and 50 pork shoulders in her over 3 days for a festival. As fast as they came off they were getting sold. Great problem to have. The other thing to consider is when you cook around people, except for the door there's no chance of burning them..... unless you pull one of my goofups which had nothing to do with the smoker.

I also used her for just normal cooking at home. Almost always someone will call up and ask if they can throw something on at the same time. (I charge them a bag of charcoal for the "effort" of watching their food smoke)

That being said, they are heavy. I can, er could, move mine by myself but never loading or unloading with less than 4 men and sometimes 6 depending on the condition.

Back