Competition Classes-Expectations versus Reality

I took a class from Scottie. He has always been willing to communicate with me on Facebook or by PM here when I have a question. I suppose it is up to the person taking the class to take the initiative to contact

Last edited:
Well said.......everyone is still learning, even top teams

That being said, I took Scotties class, he showed exact recipes and I do not use those recipes, I may use some techniques though :-D. Each cooker (and cook) runs things differently.
I am not about to call him and ask if he has changed anything :thumb:

Ive changed chicken a bit... look for new Cliff notes coming out soon.:icon_shy

Well said.......everyone is still learning, even top teams

That being said, I took Scotties class, he showed exact recipes and I do not use those recipes, I may use some techniques though :-D. Each cooker (and cook) runs things differently.
I am not about to call him and ask if he has changed anything :thumb:

But as all my students know... i am always changing that category..

But as all my students know... i am always changing that category..

No offense, but I have too! Loved your class, and it sure seems to have helped. Keep up the good work.

I call both Eddie and Todd friend. I strongly recommend their products. That being said, they have both helped me when I needed it, but what I learned from them is just a small part of what I do.

If you take a class from a "premier" cook and don't get your money's worth I would suspect your expectations were too high, or your not ready to capitalize on the knowledge.

I hope I didn't come across as their classes aren't worth it because they were both very instrumental in getting us to where we are today. They didn't revolutionize my cooking but they definitely helped solve a couple of major problems and in my mind the classes were well worth it.

Myron Mixon keeps a list of all of his students teams that have gone on to win GC's and the list is quite extensive. He gets beat by his students on a regular basis. I have only competed against him once, but I beat him in Brisket with a 178.128

All in all, I took his class and I am pretty sure he does not "tell all' but he gives you enough info to improve your scores and walk consistantly. I took his class last year and have walked in 5 of 6 comps this year.

Last edited:
I would say no. The instructor continuing to improve his recipes and techniques is how they will stay ahead of their students. You paid to be taught contest winning techniques/recipes and thats exactly what you got.

I totally agree. I took the Plowboys class in March '10, and since then I have tweaked each of the recipes into my own versions. Some do not even resemble what I was doing after the class. You pay for a class, not continual consultation. Granted, I did follow-up with Todd after the class a few times for clarification on some of the techniques that were shared, however, I know for a fact that some of his recipes have since changed on a few meats. If I want to learn some of those new techniques/recipes, I'm more than happy to pay for another class. That's the way it should work in my opinion.

Perhaps some of the guys doing classes could set up a "retainer" program, maybe $2,000-$5,000 a year to have 100% access to their current recipes & techniques on an on-demand basis? :heh:

In the 18 months that I have been competing, what I have found is that you can have a great recipe, but execution is always the differentiator. Experienced, award-winning BBQ cooks are really cooking against themselves each week, to see if they can nail the execution. Those cooks (Munchin, Johnny, Rod, 4 Legs Up, Quau, etc.) that are cooking every weekend typically have a leg up on the cooks that cook 5-7 comps a year because they have the execution down.

Kev

If you buy a recipe class, you should get the current recipes. If you buy a technique class you should get the techniques.

You shouldnt be getting the recipes they used to use or the techniques that they thought about using. It should be what they would have cooked with that weekend instead of teaching the class.

For the most part, the guys teaching classes can get by on the fact that most of what they teach is going to be totally ignored. They could teach everything they do exactly the way they do it and know that most of the people in the class are not going to take great notes and those that do will ignore most of what they wrote down.

OK. Let's also look at the other side of these classes.

If you attend a class and start winning, does that give the teacher the right to use your name in advertising? I've seen that a few times and I've always wondered if the teacher should pay the student for use of the student's name...

Oooooo.... can o' worms is opened!!!

We talk about this in my class about pictures and sharing info. If students can look to the left and right of them in class and can guarantee that those guys and everyone in that class wont be pissed about them posting pictures of things they learned. Then go for it. Every class folks said they would prefer that folks dont post that stuff.

I look at it the same way. I dont keep lists of who has attended. Heck, half the time i dont know their team names!!!!! But it wouldnt be right for me to use their name to promote my class without them giving me approval. And more than likely i still wouldnt use their names. Just how i roll. If a student wants to say they came, cool with me.

If you buy a recipe class, you should get the current recipes. If you buy a technique class you should get the techniques.

You shouldnt be getting the recipes they used to use or the techniques that they thought about using. It should be what they would have cooked with that weekend instead of teaching the class.

If they advertise that's what they will teach then yes. You should never assume.

If you attend a class and start winning, does that give the teacher the right to use your name in advertising? I've seen that a few times and I've always wondered if the teacher should pay the student for use of the student's name...

I'm on one of those lists. I wrote my instructor and thanked him after I managed a reserve and two grands after I took his class. He put me on his website. I suppose some people might have a problem with others knowing they "took a class" to get their wins. I sleep just fine at night.

I would have to agree with the majority and say no...BBQ evolves rather quickly with new products hitting the market almost weekly...what worked last year may not work this year. We took Johnny Trigg's class this year and am fairly certain he shared all his recipes and techniques he was doing at the time. He also gave every student his personal phone number to use if they have any questions...at any time. I have called him for advice on a couple of occasions and he was very good at getting back to me in a timely manner.

My rule is that "you were never at my class", unless you tell me otherwise. I will ask winners if I can brag on them, but it is up to them. I've found that most will give you a shout out anyway either because of a class or using your product.

I had the good fortune of getting to attend a class from David of Butcher's that was held just 15 mins from my house. The timing was great because it was about a month before my first ever sanctioned contest.

My expectation was that I would learn some basic/general tips about how to cook cook competition BBQ. Since I had never cooked a 4 meat contest I was ready to soak in anything that could help me feel less over-whelmed at the task before me.

The class exceeded my expectations in every way. David showed us everything he does in a competition, step by step. I wrote everything down, including his full schedule. After the class I emailed him some questions and he answered them immediately. I also sent him my timeline notes and he helped me get them 100% accurate.

Do I follow his process and timeline to a tee? Absolutely not. I do things different so some things he does just won't work for me. But I was able to incorporate some of his techniques into my cooking. More importantly I learned how to be organized and create a schedule to work from. I also learned how to pay attention to details and really focus on certain areas of my cooking. Not sure he specifically taught that, but I learned it from watching him cook.

I feel like David would make himself available to answer any questions I have, but I wouldn't expect him to share his latest technique or recipe with me, although I think he would be willing to share if I asked.

To me, the class, along with a number of other things I did to prepare for my first season really helped to shorten the learning curve. Rather than starting from the beginning and doing trial and error I was able to jump in with a bunch of proven techniques in my back pocket. It has helped me have a very successful (so far anyway) rookie season.

We talk about this in my class about pictures and sharing info. If students can look to the left and right of them in class and can guarantee that those guys and everyone in that class wont be pissed about them posting pictures of things they learned. Then go for it. Every class folks said they would prefer that folks dont post that stuff.

I look at it the same way. I dont keep lists of who has attended. Heck, half the time i dont know their team names!!!!! But it wouldnt be right for me to use their name to promote my class without them giving me approval. And more than likely i still wouldnt use their names. Just how i roll. If a student wants to say they came, cool with me.

I just took Scottie's Mai Tai class.................names and photos of all others in attendance are being withheld to protect the guilty!
:becky:

I've never thought twice about it myself. Why anyone would be ashamed or want to hide the fact that they engaged in learning and improving themselves is beyond me. Whenever I see someone who's taken my class 'up their game' at contests I love it and brag on them. I got beat by 3 of my guys this past weekend (one won GC) and was almost as happy as if I had won myself.
Maybe I need to re-think my thoughts on this? :tape:

We talk about this in my class about pictures and sharing info. Every class folks said they would prefer that folks dont post that stuff.

If a student wants to say they came, cool with me.

I took Scotties class, I attended Todd's class, I've cooked with Todd, I've shigged like mad, and still don't get it......:doh:

Seriously though, both guys do a GREAT job but who cares if you took a class? I doubt many of us ended up in our current careers without some sort of preparation and training. BBQ has become big business for some and an expensive hobby for others and taking a class is simply a means of either shortening the learning curve or working out a few kinks. I'll most likely take another one this off season.

I also still plan to do a catering class (thanks Todd) and look at it the same way. Why shouldnt others and I profit from my trial and error?

This is my first year competing and I've never taken a class, but I'm thinking about taking one this fall. I'm averaging over 8 on appearance on everything and exactly 8 on my tenderness scores, but I'm struggling with flavor profiles in every category except pork. I don't have any issues with getting things done or any kind of timing for everything (thanks to research on this forum). I cook on two WSM's and an UDS, so I was wondering if I took a class.. would it help me with the flavor profiles or should I just share with people competing next to me and use this first year to figure it out.

Back