Competing on a Shoestring?

I think it's fantastic that you are doing this with your son!

My wife and I compete together on a shoe-string budget and we have a blast working together as a team. I can't imagine doing it all on my own - but I know that there are people who do go it solo - but the bottom line is that it really helps us bond together as a team in life as well as in competition.

We have a tent that we sleep in - but the Most Important Item (according to my wife) is the air mattress! We have even blown up the air mattress and slept on it when it was too windy to set up the tent. Plus we could have the air mattress right next to the cookers . . .

Bottom line, to more specifically answer your question, is that it is possible, as long as your goal is to have fun doing this together. It's a challenge physically and mentally and working together to overcome those challenges can be a lot of fun as long as you go about it with the right attitude.

We have been adding equipment little by little over the last couple of years as we could save up for things like a portable water heater . . . but the advice given so far about things like the hot water in the cooler - and keeping track of what you actually use and don't use - and keeping a time-line journal - and practicing in your back yard - it's all excellent advice!

And don't make it a one-time deal. As you and your son learn about things, planning together how to modify your game plan for your next contest is also a lot of fun to work on once you get back home.

Above all else - have fun! Enjoy your time together -

"Starting the Fire", as another poster said, is a good read. (even if they can't spell Farrin right :icon_blush:)

I also suggest you look over the kcbs.us site. There are some things that are required to pass the meat/site inspection, including:

- food service safe gloves (vinyl is good)
- 3 basins (wash, rinse, sanitize)
- bleach (it should list sanitization of food prep surfaces as an accepted use on the bottle)
- an instant read thermometer (Ask the brethen which color Thermapen they recommend. I use RED, since it's our team color, and the fastest and most accurate. :becky:)
- A fire extinguisher (Get at least 10 pounds ABC capable. If you buy the smallest model you can find, be aware some contests won't accept the tiny ones.)
- A pop up shelter (such as an EZ-UP) is highly recommended, and you can find those at discount stores for under $100.

I'm on a team with 3 of us. Sometimes our wifes come. We have quick pitch shade, tables, etc. We split fees 3 ways. No RV or camper we get a few hours of nap time during the evening. Definately spend the night. It's part of the experiance. My part of the expence is usually 75 to a little over 100 plus the cost of the meat. You will become adicted. Pick up things for future compititions a little at a time. You already have better grills then I do. find someone else to start doing future comps> with> that will cut the expence in half. most of all have fun.

Jump right in. I would suggest on your first comp, make sure you turn everything in and don't get dq'd. Its a lot of fun. Dont forget the adult beverages!!!

Back