Comp vs. Backyard

I would maybe get my feet wet and try a couple contests near you. Nothing prepares you like jumping in and doing it. I would then take one or two classes to help you with techniques and timelines that you can tailor to your style and pit.

Dave Bouska with Butchers BBQ has a class coming up in Oklahoma. Joe And Ryan do a great class with TippyCanoe coming up in Des Moines. If Mike Davis with Lotta Bull BBQ has another class I would try to get a seat in that one. Scottie(CancerSucks) and Mike W(Quau) I have heard do a great class together as well.

Never judged before (taking class in April) or competed, do you get any feed back about your food from the judges?

Some do, most dont. Know that a lot is said through the scores themselves.

One thing though, particularly when meats come from a different piece/section (ie. chicken, or ribs from different slabs), if the scores vary, it may only mean that something was really wrong with that one piece. It will drive 'ya nuts.

That said (above), I had a first for me anyway this past weekend. Was in a BEAUTIFUL pork box. One of the pieces that I got tasted like a "cow pasture", if you know what I mean. I'm not sure whether they dropped that piece, or whether the person putting the piece of meat used a different hand, or whether he'd just brushed off a little mud before putting this in the box. I dont know, but I actually cleared my palate (almost threw up), ate a few different pieces, re-cleared my palate, then came back to that and took another sniff and bite; same result. YUCK. I talked with the other judges afterwards, apparently it was just that one section of meat. They didnt taste it, and I was certain it wasn't subtle...

So, **** happens.

Last edited:
I would maybe get my feet wet and try a couple contests near you. Nothing prepares you like jumping in and doing it. I would then take one or two classes to help you with techniques and timelines that you can tailor to your style and pit.

We are doing just that. First comp is 20 minutes away. Took a ribs and chicken class this past weekend. Taking CBJ class in April with another cooking class in May. Hopefully by then I have a better understanding what comp cooking is about with a lot more learning to do.

Never judged before (taking class in April) or competed, do you get any feed back about your food from the judges?

I was already planning on stopping by and seeing you guys on Friday night of the Lee's Summit contest, and if you'd like I'd be happy to swing by again after I'm done judging on Saturday.

Back