Comp generator help?

Wonder how a microwave runs at 93v? I don't want to be the one to find out.

Don't cheap out. Buy a Honda

I can tell you that a box fan runs twice as fast at 125, rather than 93 volts.:biggrin1:

Seriously, after having my 30 amp to 15 amp adapter fried last yearI bought one of these, best money I spent. I agree on the Honda!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-12-4058-Power-Monitor/dp/B000BRFTH6/ref=pd_sim_60_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=514gFS4w61L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR234%2C320_&refRID=0018B52NJF2PJA5W22Z4"]Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-4058 AC Power Line Monitor: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514gFS4w61L.@@AMEPARAM@@514gFS4w61L[/ame]

TDuffy - To make electricity. Sorry, had to go there. You may be ok relying on comp power and I currently do, but doesn' mean I like it!

I have a wide array of equipment in my trailer including a water heater, refrigerator and AC. A lot of comps don't have the power so I plan on using the generators. The first comp this year had no power and the second comp the power kept going out and I actually supplied power to help out another person that had no generator.

I have been using 2 honda eu2000 units for a few years and they are terrific. I was contacted by someone from generac to test their new competitor to the honda unit, the generac iq2000. It is about as quiet and i really like it. It has some features the honda units don't, and it has a kit to parallel 2 of them together. They are cheaper than the honda units, and at $800 each even buying 2 will save you a few hundred off a honda eu3000. Maybe buy one, see if that is enough for you, then get the second unit later.

Not even a questions. I have heard all the nightmares of people trying to save themselves $200 and busing the cheaper "just lIke a Honda" generator. Generators that don't work and when they do work, are so loud it keeps the entire contest awake. Don't be that guy...

Buy a Honda and never have to worry about it again...

After reading the forums on here I went with this set up and so far they have been working out good.

http://apelectric.com/all-generator...rator-package-with-parallel-cabel-and-covers/

I copied the wrong link, this is the Westinghouse package that I went with. It gives you 4200w when run in parallel with the included kit. I was alittle hesitant at first but I talked with several people that had them and they were quite happy and @$1211 for the whole set up, it's a great deal. Out of the Honda, Yamaha and Generac, these gave you the most power and you have the option to only run one at a time.

http://apelectric.com/all-generator...rator-package-with-parallel-cable-and-covers/

I have been using 2 honda eu2000 units for a few years and they are terrific. I was contacted by someone from generac to test their new competitor to the honda unit, the generac iq2000. It is about as quiet and i really like it. It has some features the honda units don't, and it has a kit to parallel 2 of them together. They are cheaper than the honda units, and at $800 each even buying 2 will save you a few hundred off a honda eu3000. Maybe buy one, see if that is enough for you, then get the second unit later.

The Honda does have a parallel kit for the EU2000, but you have to have one EU2000 and one EU2000 Companion in order for it to work.

Noob question, why the focus on the small, quiet generators? Does your generator have to sit within your 10x20 space? Is it not practical to run extension cords from a big (loud) 6200 watt Husky generator sitting 50+ feet away? I already own one of those and would love to not shell out $2K.

Noob question, why the focus on the small, quiet generators? Does your generator have to sit within your 10x20 space? Is it not practical to run extension cords from a big (loud) 6200 watt Husky generator sitting 50+ feet away? I already own one of those and would love to not shell out $2K.

Good question.

1. Yes, everything has to be within your assigned space.
2. No one cares how much of your own noise that you have to listen too. We care about how much of your noise we have to listen to :becky: Competitions tend to be tight on space, and even one loud generator will be heard across the entire site. Imagine 20 or 30 of them? KCBS and most competitions have rules about noise and these can be strictly enforce, especially during the "quiet hours", typically from 11pm - 6am when loud music, loud partying, etc. is supposed to be shut down.

At the Dwight, IL competition this past weekend there was a team with a construction generator about 100 ft. from us and it was enough to disrupt conversation. Our neighbor made a sarcastic comment that it will be "fun" to listen to all night. About 5 minutes later the organizer visited the team and told them to shut it down. Since there was no power provided at that competition he helped them make arrangements to get power from another team.

So, either look at the lower cost options for a quiet generator and hope that it lasts (I own a Honda), find a friend who is willing to share their generator (buy them gas) or bite the bullet for a Honda. Please.

Good question.

1. Yes, everything has to be within your assigned space.
2. No one cares how much of your own noise that you have to listen too. We care about how much of your noise we have to listen to :becky: Competitions tend to be tight on space, and even one loud generator will be heard across the entire site. Imagine 20 or 30 of them? KCBS and most competitions have rules about noise and these can be strictly enforce, especially during the "quiet hours", typically from 11pm - 6am when loud music, loud partying, etc. is supposed to be shut down.

At the Dwight, IL competition this past weekend there was a team with a construction generator about 100 ft. from us and it was enough to disrupt conversation. Our neighbor made a sarcastic comment that it will be "fun" to listen to all night. About 5 minutes later the organizer visited the team and told them to shut it down. Since there was no power provided at that competition he helped them make arrangements to get power from another team.

So, either look at the lower cost options for a quiet generator and hope that it lasts (I own a Honda), find a friend who is willing to share their generator (buy them gas) or bite the bullet for a Honda. Please.

Well Said!

The Honda does have a parallel kit for the EU2000, but you have to have one EU2000 and one EU2000 Companion in order for it to work.

There are two Honda kits, one is just the sync cable and twistlock to RV adapter for hooking up a regular and companion. It runs about $50.

The second kit includes cables and a 30A outlet box that mounts to one generator. It is for connecting two regular EU2000's. Not as neat and runs close to $200. The companion is a better deal and neater setup, but if you find a deal on a second regular unit, you can hook them up.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's under 70dB loudness or other BBQ teams may steal your generator in the night and deposit it in the dumpster. You can find 3000w contractor generators at big box stores for a few hundred dollars that will clock in at 80dB. Please just don't.

Remember dB is not a linear measurement. A 71dB generator is TWICE AS LOUD as a 70dB unit. A 3000w Honda is 58dB when running full out, and 48dB when idle. You can stand next to it and have a conversation.
My Onan RV generator is 67dB and it's pretty close to the limit of what people will accept, I think.

This! Pet peeve #1 is a loud generator next door

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Nothings worse either than the guy running the contractor generator when there is power provided as well. At our Sam's local last year a guy ran the loudest damn generator I've ever came across at a contest. Was ready to petition Mike to allow him to plug into 30a

Top it off, the guy wins the contest. Karma caught back up with a DAL at regionals

Yup, didn't say that it doesn't, i have both of those units. I said the generac has features the honda doesn't AND a parallel kit. :thumb:

BTW, off topic but saw the thread on your new trailer, pretty sweet!

50 feet away from you is 50 feet closer to someone else!
We had a team recently using one of the construction bangers and they did just that. Stuck the Genny in the field behind us so they couldn't hear it. Very uncool and creates bad vibes.

Buy the Honda's and you'll only cry once!

In case you haven't gotten the consensus from all the above:
If this is for competition use, buy the Honda and move on.

If it's only for your personal use and no one else ever has to hear it, by all means buy whatever cheap deal you can find.

Nothings worse either than the guy running the contractor generator when there is power provided as well. At our Sam's local last year a guy ran the loudest damn generator I've ever came across at a contest. Was ready to petition Mike to allow him to plug into 30a

Top it off, the guy wins the contest. Karma caught back up with a DAL at regionals
LMAO! i know exactly who you are talking about and have dealt with it before.

Just a side note... during Katrina, the way the bad guys could locate the generators to steal, was the noise. If you had to run a construction generator for a couple of weeks, your neighbors would hate you in a hurry. Honda or Yamaha is my recommendation.

Wonder how a microwave runs at 93v? I don't want to be the one to find out.

Voltage below 104v can damage appliances, especially anything with a motor - like a fridge or AC unit. Some power monitors (like the units from progressive industries) will turn your power OFF when under 104v or over 132v to prevent damage to your equipment.

I've been at some contests that charged people extra for 30 amp power, and couldn't deliver it. Team next to me wondered why their fridge wasn't working. I tested it and found the line voltage was 99 volts.

Line monitors or even a simple meter are pretty cheap, and a good idea if you plan to run off contest power. (If you have an RV, good to test the water pressure too. Contests in a field use the water that's handy...like the supply line for the sprinklers. Sometimes those clock in at a hose popping 90 PSI. A pressure reducer comes in handy.)

Back