THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow! I guess a guy could do an entire competition on a single UDS! This is why I love this web site! SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE!!

So if you had to recommend the best way for us competition virgins, would you recommend a single smoker or multiple smokers? I would think multiple would give a little leeway so I wouldn't be opening/closing/opening/closing over and over and killing my temperatures.

Yeah, if everything goes right, you can do it on one. But if you have a stubborn butt or brisket you can have an issue.

See my recommendation above for a great way for a new team to start.

Yeah, if everything goes right, you can do it on one. But if you have a stubborn butt or brisket you can have an issue.

See my recommendation above for a great way for a new team to start.

Indeed. Harry Soo is the exception to the rule. I don't think I'd ever try his method of all-in-one. He's truly talented at what he does.

Indeed. Harry Soo is the exception to the rule. I don't think I'd ever try his method of all-in-one. He's truly talented at what he does.

Yeah... It takes impeccable timing.

But, I've seen a lot of pictures online of him at comps and they show two WSMs. Does he really use just one all the time?

Shows how new I am to te game. I thaught uds was only for back yards....

He told me he likes to use one WSM and 1 20lb. bag of KB because it reduces his carbon footprint and makes things go a lot smoother, ie. less equipment, supplies, etc.. I think it's because he's showing off...LOL!

Only in California would someone be worried about their carbon footprint in a BBQ competition...:crazy:

Yeah... It takes impeccable timing.

But, I've seen a lot of pictures online of him at comps and they show two WSMs. Does he really use just one all the time?

I know he used only one in Wildomar. He did use a mini WSM to smoke his beef ribs (extra category in Wildomar), but I saw only one regular WSM on his cook site.

Only in California would someone be worried about their carbon footprint in a BBQ competition...:crazy:

When he first mentioned that he used only one WSM in the class I was shocked. I asked him why and he said that it was easier to transport less equipment and fewer supplies without sacrificing any quality in his end product. The carbon footprint reason was a more of a throw away one-liner afterwards. We all got a kick out it. Maybe he was serious about that reason or not, but the fact is that he frequently uses a single WSM and a single 20lb. bag of KB (and wood chunks) to cook all four of his competition meats.

Back