Commercial BBQ Sauces

When using a commercial sauce; what do you do (if anything) to make it better?

• Nothing, I use a commercial sauce straight out of the bottle.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I add other spices / ingredients to a commercial sauce.

Votes: 33 21.7%
  • I mix a homemade sauce with a commercial sauce.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I blend/mix two commerical sauces.

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • I blend/mix more than two commercial sauces.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don't use commercial sauces.

Votes: 17 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
POLL RESULTS _ Commercial BBQ Sauces

Go To Message #45 to See Detailed Results / Statistics / Comparisons.

I am not only curious how many Brethren use a commercial BBQ sauce, but also how many add other ingredients to the sauce, or blend two or more sauces to create a signature product.

Mike Mills, The BBQ Legend, wrote in his book "Peace, Love, BBQ" (2005) that Maull’s is the perfect base sauce to start with and add your own ingredients to make it your own "Secret Sauce". Johnny Trig (The GodFather of Ribs) remarked during a winning competition cook; He stated that his sauce has been perfected and he uses a mixture of bottled sauces, of course he did not say which ones.

It's not a discussion of whether using a commercial sauce or making your own is better, but rather a poll of what you use.

If you mix two or more sauces and add other ingredients as well, then please select mix the sauces.

It doesn't matter if you apply the sauce to the meat, serve it on the side, or just have it for you guests. If you have it then you must serve it, at least occasionally.

Just curious as to what both back yard and competition cooks use to enhance their meat.

BTW, the results will be revealed on Wednesday if anyone has an interest on the statistics.

EDIT:

I had several question in private messages so; I can't change the questions once the poll has started.

Just for clarification here, I'm looking for your most common action for your response...... Not about your personal preference, but your most common practice.

Personally, I prefer no sauce on most things, but I do serve sauce on the side for dipping for the family and for guests. I will also sauce ribs in the last stage as some family members and guests prefer. So even though I don't use sauce for myself, I do use it for others, and i do serve several on the side. So my response would be that Yes, I do use sauce.

I also mix/blend several sauces as well as adding other ingredients, so I would choose that I mix more than two commercial sauces.

I need two responses. Sometimes i use them straight out of the bottle (SBR)...But sometimes I mix (blues hog original and Tennessee red).

^^^I came in here to post this exact thing.^^^

Use your most common action.

Mix two and add a little something

I could only choose one, so i went with mixing more than one, but I do all of those, depending on the sauce, meat, my mood, phase of the moon... :grin:

I hear you, we all change things from time to time, but I feel you went with the right choice.

I have to say, I am really surprised by the results of the poll, it's nothing like I expected.

Last edited:
I enjoy commercial sauces but I do have a few quirks.
No soy oil, lecithin etc. none of any type-Bride Medical Contraindicated
No HFCS-I know the debate-I avoid
No artificial sweeteners
No Hydrogenated anything

Do I mix- sure. I've added unsweet ketchup, Mexican Soda (cane sugar used to make), everything in liquor cabinet, beer dark no light, every red/green sauce imaginable. Often add juices of the cook, or previous cooks.

Thing is I don't always Sauce. Seldom do the same thing twice and don't take notes. Just MSU s I go. A bottle of anything lasts a long time. Probably favorites include Sucklebusters Trader Joe's and Stubbs they're available locally.
I may venture into these

http://paleogrubs.com/bbq-sauce-recipes

Yesterday's glaze was Trader Joe's Organic Sriracha Garlic Q Sauce-Pure Colorado Honey and Black Pepper thinned with rib juice

Last edited:
I use them straight . . . more for dipping other foods like roasted sweet tater wedges than BBQ, but I always have bottles of a Stubb's variety and Maull's Original. Although I try to stay away from science project ingredients in all things, some things just hold sentimental value and are goooood.

Nirvana is watching a Cards game, drinking an ice cold Budweiser, eating a Maull's pork steak, followed up by some Tums. St. Louisans know.

I usually just use commercial sauce but on occasion will thin with a bit of beer.

By the way I think we have far too many polls here. So much so that I once created a poll to see if people agreed with me!

I use Cow Town. Sometimes I add a liitle root beer and my rub. Maybe some minced garlic. Depends on what I'm cooking.

I could only choose one, so i went with mixing more than one, but I do all of those, depending on the sauce, meat, my mood, phase of the moon... :-D

If I'm not making my own sauce, my favorite thing to do is mix Rudy's Sissy Sauce and their standard/spicier BBQ sauce together. Has that nice spice but gets just a tiny sweetness boost from sissy sauce. And it helps me get over how much I miss BBQ in Texas now that I live back in NC.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Back