Combinations that have worked for you

Qbert60

Take a breath!
Hey all.

I have my first KCBS comp of the year in about a month. This year I am re-tooling some rub combinations. I went through everything that I have and realize that I have an addiction to buying BBQ seasonings. I am looking for your help on what combinations you would recommend I try with what I have listed below. I have an abundance of Blues Hog that I probably will use of a sauce for now.

Current Inventory:
Butcher BBQ - Honey & Premium
Simply Marvelous - Spicy Apple, Pecan, Sweet Seduction
Plowboys Bovine Bold
Caveman Chicken Rub
Victory Lane - Sweet, Peach, Apple, All Purpose, Season All, Garlic Jalapeno Season All, Beef Rub, Honey, and Honey Chipotle
BBQ Superstore - Judge, Jury, Executioner, and Punisher
BPS - Sweet Money & Cash Cow
Slabs - Birds & Bones
Triple 9 - Swine & Bovine
Loot N Booty - Everything Rub
EAT BBQ - Most Powerful Stuff
Swamp Boys - Original Rub
Cimarron Docs
Smokin' Guns Hot

I'm probably missing some too. :)

I am obviously the guy that BBQ Suppliers LOVE!!!

I've had good luck with a 50/50 mix of Plowboy's Yardbird and Cimarron Doc's on ribs. And have also scored well (1st) with just Swamp Boys rub on ribs, too.

Sometimes a light layer of seasoning salt as your base helps. I've used spicy cajun seasoning as a base for my ribs and done well. But then again spicy and salty helps in TX IMO..

Sweet money and pecan on pork. Smokin guns hot and spicy apple on ribs. I used eat bbq most powerful rub as the only rub on my brisket for awhile and did well. Cash cow and bovine bold work too. Chicken id probably do Smokin guns hot and Stephy style. Plenty of stuff works there! I haven’t even tried half those rubs.

All of those rubs have won before. If you're going to use BH I'd find something that goes along with that sauce.

Plowboys Yardbird and SGH have traditionally done well with BH

Good luck on your first KCBS comp. Will it be your first comp or just first KCBS? I just completed my fourth SCBA event and love it.

Get you some pork steaks and pick 2 or 3 savory rubs and do a comparison cook for color only. Examples would be Cimarron Docs and Killer Hogs. Once you narrow down your primary color rub, then add another flavor rub if you like. It seems to me that Smokin Guns is a popular one to pair with Cimarron Doc's. Then you can decide if you want to add a sweet rub to finish it off.

Find something you feel comfortable with and stick with it for a few cooks. Get a couple of events completed using your chosen combination and decide if you need to add anything only after you have enough data to work with. Don't get hung up chasing the latest and greatest.

Good luck and have fun narrowing it down!!!

Good luck on your first KCBS comp. Will it be your first comp or just first KCBS? I just completed my fourth SCBA event and love it.

Get you some pork steaks and pick 2 or 3 savory rubs and do a comparison cook for color only. Examples would be Cimarron Docs and Killer Hogs. Once you narrow down your primary color rub, then add another flavor rub if you like. It seems to me that Smokin Guns is a popular one to pair with Cimarron Doc's. Then you can decide if you want to add a sweet rub to finish it off.

Find something you feel comfortable with and stick with it for a few cooks. Get a couple of events completed using your chosen combination and decide if you need to add anything only after you have enough data to work with. Don't get hung up chasing the latest and greatest.

Good luck and have fun narrowing it down!!!

Thanks! This will me my first KCBS comp this year, but my 6th year doing it. Expensive hobby.

Just use the combinations that got you to the Jack....

Honestly Brad, I think luck got me to the Jack more than skill. LOL

By the way, I heard some new things your guys are doing nowadays. I may have to take a refresher course. 2nd time around discount??? :-D

Honestly Brad, I think luck got me to the Jack more than skill. LOL

By the way, I heard some new things your guys are doing nowadays. I may have to take a refresher course. 2nd time around discount??? :-D

I’d add Blues Hog Bold & Beefy and Sweet & Savory to your combination possibilities!

Back