Columbia, MO - July 27th & 28th

I guess ultimatley we all have to realize that the judging is the one big unforseen in the total scheme of competition BBQ. Even with 100% certified judges, the variable is always there. We would all like to hope that everyone (competitors, organizers, reps...) could all be on the same page in regards to putting everything on an even keel at every contest. Unfortunatley this will probably never be....... Let's all remember why we do this. For me it's to enjoy the "ART" of BBQ, being with my friends, new and old, and enjoying the fellowship that we all hold sacred in this group.
Someone once asked me how much money I made in competition. I told them that if I was in it for the money, I'd have gotten out a long time ago. Of course the walk to the front and a little white envelope doesn't hurt my feelings any.
Regards to everyone that showed up to make this another memorable event, good or bad........... I always enjoy cooking with my old brothers, and meeting new ones that hopefully I will cook with again.
Keep the faith my Brother & Sisters, we will prevail.

Whew.... I"m glad I got that out! :icon_smil

I guess ultimatley we all have to realize that the judging is the one big unforseen in the total scheme of competition BBQ. Even with 100% certified judges, the variable is always there. We would all like to hope that everyone (competitors, organizers, reps...) could all be on the same page in regards to putting everything on an even keel at every contest. Unfortunatley this will probably never be....... Let's all remember why we do this. For me it's to enjoy the "ART" of BBQ, being with my friends, new and old, and enjoying the fellowship that we all hold sacred in this group.
Someone once asked me how much money I made in competition. I told them that if I was in it for the money, I'd have gotten out a long time ago. Of course the walk to the front and a little white envelope doesn't hurt my feelings any.
Regards to everyone that showed up to make this another memorable event, good or bad........... I always enjoy cooking with my old brothers, and meeting new ones that hopefully I will cook with again.
Keep the faith my Brother & Sisters, we will prevail.

Whew.... I"m glad I got that out! :icon_smil

Jamey,
I get what you are saying and I do agree wholeheartedly, BUT this contest is run differently than other contests. Fair Queen's as table captains???
How many teams already refuse to cook this contest ?
That's sad!!!

Kumbia, or however it's spelled,

is all well and good, as is the group hug and digging deep to remember what got every last one of us started - that being the desire to cook great bbq. However -

To quote a country song that's out as well as I can "not everyone made the team, we were dissapointed, and that's ok". The reason we get dissapointed is that we are competitive. It is up to every contest organizer to be consistent. We may not win a d*mn thing, but we want to be judged equally and given the opportunity to win when were on and lose when we s*ck.

We generally have a great time, but game time is just that, game time. I can only make 2 or 3 contests a year, and hate to think even 1 of those was a wasted effort from a competitive / judging standpoint. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Jamey,
I get what you are saying and I do agree wholeheartedly, BUT this contest is run differently than other contests. Fair Queen's as table captains???
How many teams already refuse to cook this contest ?
That's sad!!!

My point exactly. We all do this for a reason and, we should stick together as a brotherhood to promote fairness and consistency in these contests. Especially around here, there are enough of us to make our voice heard. We have a year to get our point across or weigh our other options.
I'm absolutley sure that if we make our point in the right manner, or to the right people, the point will get across or we can force a change in the way, or who runs these particular contests.
That's all I've got to say about this...............

My point exactly. We all do this for a reason and, we should stick together as a brotherhood to promote fairness and consistency in these contests. Especially around here, there are enough of us to make our voice heard. We have a year to get our point across or weigh our other options.
I'm absolutley sure that if we make our point in the right manner, or to the right people, the point will get across or we can force a change in the way, or who runs these particular contests.
That's all I've got to say about this...............

I agree!!!
Thanks

This should be a Hot Topic at the next Beta Que meeting and a large turn out for this meeting is a must!!! If after we have spoken our peace, we don't get a positive response, then and only then should we decide upon a reactive move to support or not support this and other events like this one.

Spice

Sorry for being late.

I just got a couple of things to say. First congrats to everyone for getting your name called. I always like seeing people I know walk to the stage!

A big thanks to everyone that allowed me to hang; Jamie (probably the best lamb I ever tasted and you are always fun to talk to), Skip (I was talking about your food to my wife when I went home), Team Q (you guys are always fun to watch), Belly Brothers (It was great to meet you, my son is still talking baout playing with Mya), Beam Boys (great margritas, sorry about the ribs), and others who are not on this great site

On the subject of BCNB, I have been wishy/washy about this event all year. I have a friend who asked me if I wanted to do it and he was going to help pay. Ultimately, I say no. That is a lot of money to trust on people who think Masterpiece and boilling ribs is good q. Another thing I did not like was check in time at 2:00, and the organizer could not guarantee me that rule stood for everyone.

If anyone is doing it and wants help, I will be more than glad to hook up. I wish them well!

Back