Cold Smoking - Cooling Smoke

bbavbowman

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi -
I am new to cold smoking and have successfully burned up my first DIY cold smoker's hotbox. It was a flawed design that actually worked really well. I have pictures if someone is interested in what not to do with a hotbox. I knew it wouldn't last and am quickly planning my second one. I have been reading a lot on line about DIY cold smokers and have a pretty good plan for building a sustainable hotbox.

Most of what I have seen has the hotbox with dryer hose leading to the cold box or it all combined together in the cold box. One thing that I have not seen is an intermediate chamber to cool the smoke. This would allow me to control and maintain the temperature better in the cold box.

Has anyone ever thought of doing this or seen someone try this?

Thanks!

Brian

I built a smokehouse. The pipe running from my heat source to the house cools the smoke before reaching the house. I also added a baffle in the pipe for further control of the heat and smoke.

my smokehouse... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html

741e036b-1.jpg

Several people use inexpensive sieves or baskets for cold smoking, seems to work well. This one belongs to Brethren Garnaal.

HPIM5517r.JPG

Not sure if this is of any help but good luck with your build!

What I've read is use your weber grill as a hot box with the dryer hose duct taped to the top vent. maybe use 10-12 feet to cool the smoke and run it into another weber for the cold smoke.

Thanks for the replies. I am using the a-mazing product and find it great. I am using the dryer hose between my hotbox, where i generate the smoke and the coldbox. What I am really looking for is if anyone has put the dryer hose ( or a similar hose) in something like an ice bucket to cool the smoke between the two boxes.

I am thinking of using a 2 inch plastic hose instead of dryer hose as I can be sure it will be water proof.

It may be overkill and I may not need to do it but I was wondering.

Thanks!

Brian

Back