Coffee Crusted Pork Loin with Red Eye BBQ Sauce

Mason Dixon Bowhunta

is one Smokin' Farker
Wanted to get into the latest throw down but admittedly I haven't used coffee too much when cooking. I found a small pork loin at the grocery store today and decided to give it a try.

Started by mixing up a wet rub using ground coffee, salt, molasses, cocoa powder, garlic powder and paprika. Kinda looked like ground up oreo cookies:

picture.php

Schmeered the rub on the loin and let in sit for a few hours:

picture.php

The reverse flow got the call today. Threw the loin on with some hickory:

picture.php

While the loin was doing it's thing I got the bright idea to make a sauce that was a hybrid between red eye gravy and bbq sauce. First step was to brew up a cup of coffee:

picture.php

Sauteed some onions in bacon fat and added the coffee, some basic red bbq sauce, molasses and dijon. Let everything simmer and get happy:

picture.php

Pulled the pork loin off the smoker and let it rest. Had a nice dark color from the coffee:

picture.php

Sliced:

picture.php

And the money shot with the red eye bbq sauce:

picture.php

This definitely did not suck! I was worried that the coffee crust would be overpowering but it was actually a nice contrast to the rich flavor of the pork. Will also be making the red eye sauce again.

Thanks for looking!

That's perfection! :thumb:

Pork Loin has been a challenge for me to get it to the right doneness without drying it out. You nailed the cook on this loin, and the sauce looks great. I've never tried a coffee based rub on pork - but I will soon after seeing this! :-D

Well done! :thumb:

That sounds wonderful! :thumb: I want to do that at my house, but will need a standby piece of meat as my wife doesnt like coffee. Carne Crosta will be my "coffee" trial on her when I make steaks for valentines day.

Back