THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
With Cinco de Mayo giving me a reason to try a new dish and fire up the drum I researched and made Cochinita Pipil. I tried to keep it authentic as possible but I didn't use banana leaves or a hole in the ground but the drum worked perfect.

I made a marinate with fresh ground black pepper, cloves and corriander, garlic, onion and Achiota powder(crushed annatto seed), salt, lime juice and orange juice.
100_2125.jpg

I cut large pieces of pork butt and marinaded it over night. I also kept a piece of butt to smoke like normal.
100_2127.jpg

100_2128.jpg

I put the pan on the drum and used Hickory for smoke. I smoked it open for 2 hours to get that smoke flavor and make a few pieces of bark.
100_2129.jpg

100_2131.jpg

After I wrapped the meat I started making Mexican style pickled red onions, here's the recipe. I also added some thin sliced habanero pepper on the side for a little kick.

I also made a chipolte sour cream sauce from Malcom Reed.
https://youtu.be/LqH2P2V1gpE?t=939
100_2134.jpg

I pulled about 2 hours later when it was fall apart tender, I shredded the meat and added that gravy to keep it moist.
100_2135.jpg

100_2143.jpg

I lightly toasted the corn tortillas on the gas stove and served these with Pico and homemade salsa.
100_2144.jpg

100_2146.jpg

Wow. That looks fantastic.

Love the colors (and I can almost taste the flavors from here).

Awesome cook brother!

Thank you for the detailed explanation also, I've never made this so it really helps!

Thanks everyone!

It has a unique taste and I didn't think it would be good when I tasted the meat but once you put it all together the flavors meld and it's good. Me being Cajun and used to highly flavored and spicy food I think I could make this much better.

I think next time I'll use Malcom's recipe for carnitas and add more seasoning and a little less lime juice.

It's really hard to cook & judge a dish if you haven't eaten it before and I've never seen this on a menu to try but the family liked it and that includes the picky eater who hates when I cook new dishes.

Back