Cochinita Pipil on the UDS

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
With Cinco de Mayo giving me a reason to try a new dish and fire up the drum I researched and made Cochinita Pipil. I tried to keep it authentic as possible but I didn't use banana leaves or a hole in the ground but the drum worked perfect.

I made a marinate with fresh ground black pepper, cloves and corriander, garlic, onion and Achiota powder(crushed annatto seed), salt, lime juice and orange juice.
100_2125.jpg

I cut large pieces of pork butt and marinaded it over night. I also kept a piece of butt to smoke like normal.
100_2127.jpg

100_2128.jpg

I put the pan on the drum and used Hickory for smoke. I smoked it open for 2 hours to get that smoke flavor and make a few pieces of bark.
100_2129.jpg

100_2131.jpg

After I wrapped the meat I started making Mexican style pickled red onions, here's the recipe. I also added some thin sliced habanero pepper on the side for a little kick.

I also made a chipolte sour cream sauce from Malcom Reed.
https://youtu.be/LqH2P2V1gpE?t=939
100_2134.jpg

I pulled about 2 hours later when it was fall apart tender, I shredded the meat and added that gravy to keep it moist.
100_2135.jpg

100_2143.jpg

I lightly toasted the corn tortillas on the gas stove and served these with Pico and homemade salsa.
100_2144.jpg

100_2146.jpg

Wow. That looks fantastic.

Love the colors (and I can almost taste the flavors from here).

Awesome cook brother!

Thank you for the detailed explanation also, I've never made this so it really helps!

Thanks everyone!

It has a unique taste and I didn't think it would be good when I tasted the meat but once you put it all together the flavors meld and it's good. Me being Cajun and used to highly flavored and spicy food I think I could make this much better.

I think next time I'll use Malcom's recipe for carnitas and add more seasoning and a little less lime juice.

It's really hard to cook & judge a dish if you haven't eaten it before and I've never seen this on a menu to try but the family liked it and that includes the picky eater who hates when I cook new dishes.

Back