THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
Mexican pulled pork?
Have seen people on here post about it and was intrigued. Seems I have saved a bunch of recipes for it so I made a combination of them.

Had a little over 2kg of pork. Made a marinade with orange juice, lime juice, achiote paste, salt, pepper and some herbs. Let the meat marinate overnight.

Smoked it for a few hours at 250F on the Yoder in a pan. Then added the marinade, covered the pan with foil and turned the temp up to 300F. When I inserted a probe at this point, the meat felt very rubbery, not sure what to think about that. Cooked until the pork was probe tender. There was a lot of liquid in the pan. So I removed most of it and put the uncovered pan back on the smoker for 15-20 mins. In the meantime, cooked some rice.

The meat texture and citrusy taste was a surprise but I guess that's what this recipe is about. That said, with rice, pickled red onions and a good dash of hot sauce, this was damn good eatin'.

3b251e0d556237fd748d6be50675bea5.jpg

After overnight marinade
8a594a69d486cb1f648af11ca46c945c.jpg

2 hours into the smoke
e330b6cd32942fa3350ca53acb793dcf.jpg

Pulled
4ddb22ea84c8ce23bd2e4e56af421bb3.jpg

f3458c342faab29562cf63e3462910ff.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:
The texture might be from the acid in the marinade. I find anything more than a few hours marinade with lemon/lime juice makes things chewy, especially if you are trying to shred in the end.

I prefer to just use lemon or lime zest in the marinade and then use the juice in the pan once I cover the meat and add back the marinade.

The texture might be from the acid in the marinade. I find anything more than a few hours marinade with lemon/lime juice makes things chewy, especially if you are trying to shred in the end.

I prefer to just use lemon or lime zest in the marinade and then use the juice in the pan once I cover the meat and add back the marinade.

Yes, it def is from the acid. We did add some lime and orange zest. I went back to check the recipes I saved and all of them said to marinade overnight. It´s one of the things I want to change when I make this again.

Back