Cinderblock pit country style ribs (pr0n heavy)

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
sleebs
With the folks coming over for father's day, and a new grate in the firebox, it was time to fire up Cindy for some good eats. Decided on some country style ribs, cooked at 275 for 2 hours. A bit of a fail on my part, I got the temps a bit high, (past 325) and upon cutting into one, it became obvious that I didn't need to have them on there for 2 hours. Still tasty, but a wee bit on the dry side. Next time 1.5 hrs at 275 should be just about perfect.

Also, with the last cook, I had a request for more pictures. No problem. I kinda detailed most of the process so those interested in building their own Cindy can see how easy it is to fire.

So, I start mine with sticks and twigs for two reasons: 1. I've got lots 2. I'm a masochist

v3XbMtUl.jpg

Doesn't take much to get it going. That weed burner only runs for maybe 5 minutes to get to this stage. Works great on the new fire grate, but also started pretty quick on the ground.

Rl8KTukl.jpg

So, on the menu today are country style pork ribs (on clearance, yay!) which I pre-salted at 2.5g/lb the night before. Then they get wet with Worcestershire and seasoned with Meathead's Memphis Meat Dust.

ap7tNpMl.jpg

On the pit and ready for their journey

oc8weQjl.jpg

One neat benefit of this pit is that you can use the holes in the blocks to preheat your splits. Once you put one of these splits on the coals, it catches almost immediately with very little start up smoke.

6G7o5NCl.jpg

These holes right over the entrance to the pit are some of the hottest. It's like having a kiln combined with your pit. Very handy if you have some green wood on hand you want to dry. Some of this stuff was split just 3-4 weeks ago, but dried on a previous cook.

u8zkfaCl.jpg

I jerry-rigged a top to my firebox as I had quite a bit of heat escaping out the top. This worked far better than appearances show.

rLTPkwcl.jpg

Here's another handy tool for fire management; a set of crab tongs. You can get these at Academy. Very cheap and great for grabbing that wayward log and putting it exactly where you want it. Good mechanical leverage, you can move heavy logs with ease and the handle loops are big enough to use with gloves on.

8lleew7l.jpg

Shoulda tried to stay in this range better...or pulled 'em sooner! :doh:

UlIDkSLl.jpg

Action shot of how well that new grate is working. Really made getting heat up in the grill easy...maybe a bit too easy!

Jg1FhWyl.jpg

This may have been getting close to when I should have pulled 'em. Ha!

3svFc3Al.jpg

Finished product

5fVKcCal.jpg

Showing some "pig honey" which should make Pitmaster T happy.

KJth2usl.jpg

All in all, still a good cook. Shame I killed them a bit, but I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and try again. Odd thing was that at 1.5 hrs they still were probing a bit tough. Seemed better at the 2 hr mark, but were dryer than I wanted. Next time I'll pull and cut one at 1.5 hrs and also keep the heat below 300.

Last edited:
I love reading your Cindy posts, please keep 'em coming.

A bit of a fail on my part, I got the temps a bit high, (past 325)...
Out of curiosity, how do you bring the temps down after over-shooting? Is it just a matter of waiting until the fire dies down or do you throttle the intake down somehow?

The food looks good from where I'm sitting at, and the cooker looks great! Loving these cooks/posts.

I love reading your Cindy posts, please keep 'em coming.

Thanks! I always make sure I've got something in there that I've learned in the hopes it might help someone else out, old or new.

Out of curiosity, how do you bring the temps down after over-shooting? Is it just a matter of waiting until the fire dies down or do you throttle the intake down somehow?

Definitely don't want to throttle the air intake. That will lead to dirty white smoke, or worst case black smoke. Choking the fire is a last resort when all else has failed.

Usually, the temps just spike for a bit, so I let them fall off on their own. If it's still a bit hot, I'll open the top a bit more by sliding the steel plate. If it's still being stubborn, I'll pull that hanging plate in the firebox, which does two things, it lets heat from the firebox escape out the front, and it draws more of the cooler combustion air in which will lower the overall temps. Still hot? I'll rearrange the logs a bit. Stacked logs burn hot, spread out ones not. That usually does it. If all that fails, then I start reducing air to the firebox, but making sure the pit is open to let any bad smoke out before it hits the Q. However, probably the best approach is to open the pit all the way up and let the excess wood burn down a bit...that way you don't generate any nasty smoke, and choking the fire just switches one problem for another. Best to let it burn down in my opinion.

Every time I fire this pit I learn something, and this time was no exception. There were two pretty big mods to deal with this time (grate + air intake) so it's a bit like a new pit. I do like the way it's running now.

Also realized that I didn't post a full shot of Cindy, so here ya go.

4sDJSXyl.jpg

Also a completely boring video of TBS running at 300 F, accompanied by a hot summer day symphony.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nWGYoZ0Qd4"]Cindy running at ~300° - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Usually, the temps just spike for a bit, so I let them fall off on their own. If it's still a bit hot, I'll open the top a bit more by sliding the steel plate. If it's still being stubborn, I'll pull that hanging plate in the firebox, which does two things, it lets heat from the firebox escape out the front, and it draws more of the cooler combustion air in which will lower the overall temps. Still hot? I'll rearrange the logs a bit. Stacked logs burn hot, spread out ones not. That usually does it. If all that fails, then I start reducing air to the firebox, but making sure the pit is open to let any bad smoke out before it hits the Q. However, probably the best approach is to open the pit all the way up and let the excess wood burn down a bit...that way you don't generate any nasty smoke, and choking the fire just switches one problem for another. Best to let it burn down in my opinion.
Interesting. I'm still new to smoking and have only used my WSM; obviously there are are few more variables when smoking with a live fire. All those things make sense, but definitely wouldn't have been my first guess if I was doing it myself.

Last edited:
Back