CI Seasoning issue

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
sorry, this one's a bit wordy...

I'm working on rehabbing a couple of CI pans for a friend, and have finished stripping off the years of crud and the old seasoning, and have started the process of reseasoning, using the sheryl canter flax seed oil approach:
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I've done this with a number of pans, and have gotten great results--I typically shoot for no less than 5 coats, and do as many as 10 if I have the time and patience. This time around, however, after the first round, I'm seeing something I've never seen before--when I go to put the oil on the warm pan, it beads up like water on a freshly waxed car.

The googles didn't turn much up on this--some conjecture on maybe the pan's too hot, and some other things.

The only difference with this set of pans is that none of them really had any rust on them, so I didn't use a diluted vinegar soak between lye bath and seasoning. So, after the first couple times the oil beaded up, I took some vinegar water and some 0000 steel wool to them, rinsed, dried, and tried again. Looked like normal. Went to put on the next coat, and it's beading again.

Anyone seen this before, and if so, how did you deal with it?

lUltARRl.jpg

Back