THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
This is my first cook thread in a long time, and one of my commitments in 2014 is to start posting cook threads regularly again. Might as well get a head start with last night's Christmas Dinner!

First, we brined two young chickens for several hours that we buy from one of our local ethnic markets:

DSC_2480_zpse7e007d4.jpg

These little chickens usually weigh in at about 2.5lbs, and are far superior to grocery chain fryers.

Next, I took out a fresh partial beef tenderloin roast that I had purchased the previous day so it could be prepped:

2013XmasFeast00002_zpsf937ef54.jpg

I get this beef from a local Armenian butcher who specializes in filet. I've not found any finer in Los Angeles, and at $11.99 a lb, it's the deal of the century, especially since it's fully trimmed eye of filet.

I cut the filet in half - look at that beautiful marbling:

2013XmasFeast00003_zps304833cf.jpg

One half I reserved for steaks, which I cut and were frozen for later:

2013XmasFeast00004_zpsfdef3ffa.jpg

Next, I prepped a wet rub for the meat, consisting of EVOO, garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, sea salt, and black pepper:

2013XmasFeast00005_zps253147fa.jpg

Then rubbed the meat with the wet rub goodness:

2013XmasFeast00006_zps0054573d.jpg

The meat went into a plastic bag and into the fridge for a few hours.

Later that day, I pulled the drum and Kamado out from the garage along with my designated BBQ butcher block:

DSC_2471_zpsc13d802e.jpg

First we prepped the birds for the rotisserie. The missus rubbed the little chickens with butter, S&P, and garlic powder:

DSC_2483_zps66db1531.jpg

Here's the charcoal basket after I fired it up with the weed burner. I put some mesquite lump on top of Royal Oak Chef's Select briquets:

DSC_2484_zps4002d84a.jpg

On the birds went. About an hour in:

DSC_2488_zps5bff0c9f.jpg

Meanwhile, time to fire up the Kamado for indirect for the filet roast:

DSC_2489_zps3e8eb0b9.jpg

On went the filet:

DSC_2490_zpsc93a0ccc.jpg

About ten mins in, I realized the chickens would be done soon, so I pulled the meat off the top rack, and put it on the bottom grate so it would cook a bit faster, and hopefully be finished about the same time as the birds.

DSC_2496_zps8fb759c6.jpg

It was good I cooked the beef a bit faster, as the timing coincided with the time the birds were ready to be pulled off.

The chickens came out nice and browned, with slightly crisp and perfectly bite-through skin:

DSC_2507_zps1b1b6219.jpg

The meat together on the dining table:

DSC_2510_zpsdbe50271.jpg

DSC_2511_zps7f1d16df.jpg

The tenderloin roast:

DSC_2512a_zpsc090a494.jpg

It was a thoroughly tasty meal. The Missus prepared her famous green peppercorn gravy, along with garlic mash and green beans, preceded by a Caesar salad with homemade dressing and croutons.

By the way, if you cooked or are planning to cook a feast this holiday season, head on over to the Throwdown Forum where you can enter it in the Holiday Feasts, Brethren Style Throwdown.

Entry thread is HERE.

Back