THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
every year I make pickles as a gift for friends and family. last year we were unexpectedly in the hospital before Christmas when our baby decided to come early so I didn't get to make them. this year its back on. 25 jars

kkYvBUAh.jpg

You forgot to send a jar to me! Do I need to give my address again?
Looks great. I love pickels, especially non commercial ones.
Lucky friends and family

Looking great, Steve!

I'd sure be happy with a jar of those! What sort did you whip up, eh?

Steve, I've been thinking about pickles recently. What sort of Cucumbers do you use? The only ones I have access to are the large grocery store variety or the really expensive seedless 'hot house' variety. I'm thinking I may try to grow a few myself this year.

Steve, I've been thinking about pickles recently. What sort of Cucumbers do you use? The only ones I have access to are the large grocery store variety or the really expensive seedless 'hot house' variety. I'm thinking I may try to grow a few myself this year.

Around here they are called pickling cucumbers, smaller then the big cukes. Next to a Thermapen to give you an idea of size.

0RMtlNxh.jpg

I'd be interested as well if it's not a secret family recipe. Always on the lookout for a good pickle recipe. I usually make refrigerator pickles, rather than canning them.

I've been using brethren marubozo's recipe for a while, but I reduce the amount of salt.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2722966&postcount=545

Around here they are called pickling cucumbers, smaller then the big cukes. Next to a Thermapen to give you an idea of size.

0RMtlNxh.jpg

well Andy pretty much summed it up. pickles based on the marubozo recipe, less salt more dill. it's a good start and I've just tweaked a few things for personal preference and economy of scale.

yes they are pickle cucumbers, I get them from a local market as opposed to the ones in the supermarket you mentioned. maybe 75 cents a lbs, less if you buy a case

well Andy pretty much summed it up. pickles based on the marubozo recipe, less salt more dill. it's a good start and I've just tweaked a few things for personal preference and economy of scale.
Good to know. How much did you reduce the salt? I've cut it in half so far, and thinking of cutting down even more for the next batch.

Good to know. How much did you reduce the salt? I've cut it in half so far, and thinking of cutting down even more for the next batch.

for the 2 jar batch I do 3 tbs so half. I need to start writing stuff down, after not doing them last year I forgot my large batch recipe. it's a bit hard to do the conversion when drinking......if only there was a system of measuring where conversions were easy

Steve you should tell them they get better the more they wait, which is true.
AND here, they call them "Kirby Cucumbers"
no idea why, I have done it before and was very happy.
The Kirbys are like 1/2 or so the size of normal cukes. (not English).
[Cuke Talk]

for the 2 jar batch I do 3 tbs so half. I need to start writing stuff down, after not doing them last year I forgot my large batch recipe. it's a bit hard to do the conversion when drinking......if only there was a system of measuring where conversions were easy

When converting recipes I have found it easier to do it in grams. Math works easier for me that way. Started doing that when I started making bacon.

Back