Christmas Meal Advice

BeardedBassGuy

Full Fledged Farker
I've been tasked/ volunteered to provide a Christmas Meal for my family this year (in lieu of us spending a ton on presents!) Will be 9 adults and 8 kids ages 2 -16. Possibly a few friends / other family stragglers.

I had originally planned on a brisket and a few racks of ribs, my famous Mac and Cheese, beans and some bread. It's a 3 hour trip , so I planned on cook all night the 23rd. Then was going to foil and cooler the meat, do sides at their house when we showed up, and eat Christmas Eve.

However, as it stands now, the forecast is calling for heavy rain and temps in the 30's that night. I don't have a covered area to cook, now will I have time to properly dry and clean my cooker if I cook in the rain.

So, I was considering doing Pulled Beef (the root beer recipe that was on here a couple months ago) and some pork belly burnt ends. I've done neither before but they seem pretty straight forward. And it's similar enough to brisket and ribs I don't think anyone would mind. With the nature of the 2 meats, I should be able to cook during the day the 23rd, and the dishes should reheat well. Please tell me if I'm wrong

I had 2 different ideas, so please let me know which would be best.

1) I could cook the meats to completion,; smoked, sauced, braised. Refrigerated overnight and then reheat when we got there.

2) Only smoke the meat, and then refrigerate overnight. Sauce and braised at my parent's house,then serve.

OR just suck it up and do the brisket and ribs.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Very limited options here and my two pesos.....

Cook ahead in weather you can cook in. Vac seal and refrigerate the food. Reheat with boiling water when at destination.

Properly vac sealed, reheated food can taste pretty fresh.

Go buy you a 10x10 pop up canopy to cook under and cook what you planed on cooking. If need be get some tarps for the sides of the canopy. Don't let the rain bother you. You can over come.

You're a Texan, suck it up and do the brisket and ribs. . . .

I know, I know, I just don't like being wet and cold.

Cook ahead in weather you can cook in. Vac seal and refrigerate the food. Reheat with boiling water when at destination.

That was another option if I couldn't figure out the reheating in the pans.

Go buy you a 10x10 pop up canopy to cook under and cook what you planed on cooking. If need be get some tarps for the sides of the canopy. Don't let the rain bother you. You can over come.

That's an option, but I was hoping to avoid spending any cash right now due to having purchased the smoker last weekend.

This. I also sometimes use a patio umbrella since my smoker is a little smaller. Keeps the rain off the cooker and I can stay dry.

I’ll be heading to Atlanta and going this route. Now I just need to find the time to cook.

Back