Choice Brisket 1.81/lb

Walmart doesn't carry briskets here...only Sam's does.....and they're flats.....and F***ing $4.19/lb...

My local butcher has packers and he lets me hang in the walk-in as long as I want...checking each one like a maniac....

I picked up 2 @ one here in San Antonio, Texas for $1.77 lb. They had them mixed with both select and choice grades so you have to read the small labels well. They are Excel brand.

I went to Super Wal-Mart at lunch. They were out of brisket. The guy dressed like a butcher said they can't keep them on the shelf. He ordered some more and should be in by the weekend. They are choise, Excel brand. Maybe I can snag one if the price is right.

Went back today. Thay had some nice Excel Packers........ $2.60 per pound. :sad: I didn't buy any. Would rather just go to Sams.

How can you tell if it is choise or select?
I couldn't find any lableing on the cryovac or the price lable.

I've never done a Select brisket. I did think that my Choice ones turned out slightly better than the Prime ones. But that could be operator error.

Usually they're marked on them somewhere. Is that one of those things that if it's unmarked, assume Select?

I've never done a Select brisket. I did think that my Choice ones turned out slightly better than the Prime ones. But that could be operator error.

Usually they're marked on them somewhere. Is that one of those things that if it's unmarked, assume Select?

If brisket is unmarked, it is ungraded. That means it's less than select in many cases. Utility grade would be a good description. Many ungraded packers in the local HEBs packed by Swift.

Incorrect on the HEB assessment. I used to work for HEB corporate, they don't have anything less than select. Many stores also carry choice, although not usually in briskets. Some stores carry prime as well.

LUCKY! My girlfriend thought I had picked up some sort of disorder Saturday at Sams. I walked by the brisket section and all that was available were flats and they were 4.99/lb.:tape::tape:

Back