Chili Dogs

These were Market Basket's own Vienna brand natural casing from the deli. Normally, I'll buy their Schonland deli dogs but a sale price did me in. :wink:

Sako's post had me experimenting a few weeks ago with cooking methods. Grilling vs griddling vs steaming vs boiling. The Blackstone was called into duty for the first cook since I was making other items on it. But for the couple of uncooked dogs left over for a lunch, steaming was the choice as it was simple. Much preferred over boiling. Yesterday I fired up the Weber as it started to rain and I wasn't in the mood for standing at the Blackstone.

For me, the griddle is now my number one choice, followed by grilling (indirect), then steaming. How 'bout others?

Who knew cooking hot dogs could be so involved? :-D

For me steaming a hot dog is the best, you just get that satisfying crunch to it. I also steam the buns as well. I use Casper hot dogs, extra long! Your chili looks very good btw, nice cook.

Dang it! I missed National Chili Dog Day. I guess I'll have to bust out a can of this and make up for it this weekend....

220511980_10109267723180480_8951315643386243054_n.jpg

That chili looks delicious!! I’m not a fan of hotdogs but if you put chili on them I’ll devour them.

Suggestions for hot dog chili, Ed?

Lunch today is a big bowl of chili, of course!

Well for starters you need to really grind up the chili meat into smaller pieces
(bolognaise). No big chunks of anything.
OR
https://www.tonypacko.com/pickles-peppers-and-sauces.php

Remember the MASH episode when Klinger ordered chili dogs from a place in his hometown in Ohio? Tony Packos.
Their coney sauce is famous and the pickle and peppers (original) will bite you back for every bite you put on them.
Used to order them by the case to share with co-workers.
Ed

Dayum, that looks good! I can honestly say I've never had a chili dog. Just the name never appealed to me. But seeing this, I gotta try it. I'm gonna see if I can convince the Missus if I can make those for our supper tomorrow! Steamed weenies, steamed buns.......hopefully she has some of her chili in the freezer. Oh yeah...........

.........Diane debutante, back seat of Jackie's car.........

No prep pics, but the Chili's homemade. Couple o' different beans, ground beef, ground pork, red pepper, green pepper, Poblano, Jalapeno, onions, garlic, etc.

Beans?!?! Good looking vegetable stew ya got there. :p :heh:

Sako's post had me experimenting a few weeks ago with cooking methods. Grilling vs griddling vs steaming vs boiling. The Blackstone was called into duty for the first cook since I was making other items on it. But for the couple of uncooked dogs left over for a lunch, steaming was the choice as it was simple. Much preferred over boiling. Yesterday I fired up the Weber as it started to rain and I wasn't in the mood for standing at the Blackstone.

For me, the griddle is now my number one choice, followed by grilling (indirect), then steaming. How 'bout others?

Never boil a hot dog. In Chicago, the dirty water dogs are simmered in hot water that's not changed throughout the day. For a Char dog, you need to cut a cross into each end before grilling.

34796430384_42eb5df64b_b.jpg

Then they do this.

34796429914_d1def88ec0_b.jpg

Tasty looking dogs, I'd still eat a few of those stew dogs. :loco: :wacko:

Dayum, that looks good! I can honestly say I've never had a chili dog. Just the name never appealed to me. But seeing this, I gotta try it. I'm gonna see if I can convince the Missus if I can make those for our supper tomorrow! Steamed weenies, steamed buns.......hopefully she has some of her chili in the freezer. Oh yeah...........

Don't forget the mustard and onions!

You have to get permission to make hot dogs? Chili is optional.

Back