Chili Dogs

I love this. The topic of chili is one of the most interesting topics in our hobby. Eye opening or polarizing is a self fulfilling prophecy of sort. What you grew up with, the region you grew up in, the meats and chiles available and the 400# Gorilla in the room that will make any train take a different track or flat out derail the topic.

Chili versus Chili Sauce, which is more natural on a Hot Dog. In my world they both belong. It’s not either or it’s which do I want today. I love them both and in my opinion both options are right.

I grew up if we had Chili we’d use that on these red rocket weiners that my parents bought at a meat market in NE Oklahoma. If there was no homemade chili dad liked canned-slow heated no water added. Aus-Tex And Wolf Brand and the meat market had a brick chili that was 1 inch deep and orange in grease. Dam it was grand.

Dad loved chili. Really loved it.
He passed in 2001
Had he lived He would've been 91 yesterday. He didn’t

Bottom line. Eat the chili the way you want the chili on those dogs
And please, pass me a plate and fork.

Last edited:
4star_40210b.gif

Hey 16Adams,

Was the brick of chili this brand perhaps? Made in Fort Smith, Arkansas. It's what I had as a kid growing up. May have to go see if they still carry it a Wal-Mart.

http://www.famouschili.com/products.htm

Thanks,

Robert

4star_40210b.gif

Hey 16Adams,

Was the brick of chili this brand perhaps? Made in Fort Smith, Arkansas. It's what I had as a kid growing up. May have to go see if they still carry it a Wal-Mart.

http://www.famouschili.com/products.htm

Thanks,

Robert

I have a brick of the 4 star version in the freezer now IIRC.

Petit Jean meats also makes a version.

Around me Kroger carries both although not always at the same time. It's back in the deli meats case.

I have a brick of the 4 star version in the freezer now IIRC.

Petit Jean meats also makes a version.

Around me Kroger carries both although not always at the same time. It's back in the deli meats case.

Joe,

Edited to say: a quick Google search reveals in stock at Wal-Mart in Fayetteville, all other area Wal-Marts out of stock.

I was unaware of the Petit Jean brand. I have never seen it up here. I do get to Little Rock a few times a year on business and know where a Kroger is right off I-430 and Shackleford Road.

Which brand do you prefer?

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:
Robert they are so close I'm not sure you could tell them a part in a blind taste test. I just grab which ever the store has.

Back