Chili can be anything

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
I'm kind of cleaning up half used stuff in the fridge today. So I took the leftover Cincinnati- chili-seasoned hamburger and made regular Cincy chili with it. Delicious.

Then I had some leeks and potatoes that could be used up So I looked up recipes for potato leek soup. Wow! 1 cup of butter and a cup of cream? WTF? I won't survive the week.

So I found a recipe for vegetarian version and am making that.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236799/vegetarian-potato-leek-soup/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=Search&clickId=cardslot 5

I used unsalted chicken stock and butter instead. I can salt it a bit while serving. Salting potatoes before serving it just seems to absorb and neutralize all the seasoning. Thought it might need a tablespoon or two of cream but it didn't. Fantastic stuff.

Then for the finale I had smoked chuck and it's smoky au jus, some leftover breakfast sausage and a little more of the Cincy chili seasoning. Threw it all together, then plopped in a pint of my favorite red beans, sans rice. After an hour or so simmering it was too strong, so I threw in a container of Bueno mild red chiles.

Deeeelicious! Texas red with a Cincinnati twist.

I owe a big thanks to PitBossJB for turning me on to Bueno products and to Maylar for getting me to look twice at Allrecipes.

Last edited:
Back