chicken

Jacked up/ OCPA now have a fec100 and a new chicken rub and recipe? Oh man.. could be a force to reckon with if you guys start cooking better chicken :p

looks freaking amazing!! would love to get a bite of that!!
kinda like the NY YANKEES of BBQ. That chicken looks like its on fire. name the new rub CRIMSON CLUCKER!

Wow, what a difference from the other 2 you posted. Very nice! Those should contrast and stand out nicely with greens in your turn in box. I'd like to see some pics of that! And I cant wait to try the new rub.

Now I just gotta get to work and bring that Delaware State Champion trophy back to Delaware :cool:

Wow, what a difference from the other 2 you posted. Very nice! Those should contrast and stand out nicely with greens in your turn in box. I'd like to see some pics of that! And I cant wait to try the new rub.

Now I just gotta get to work and bring that Delaware State Champion trophy back to Delaware :cool:

I hope that trophy stays in NJ at least until we make the Jack, and then it is yours!

Chicken has been our worst meat at comps...we've tried everything (breasts skin on/off, wings, legs and thighs skin on/off bone in/out)...I don't know why, but we've done the best with the thighs (bone in and skin on)...That being said, although we scored better, we were very inconsistent mainly cuz we couldn't get the skin right...We tried grilling the thighs low and slow and in the smoker at 300 degrees attempting to get the skin just right...I think our best result was crisping the skin at 300 degrees in the smoker, but we quickly found out as the thigh cooled, the skin became very rubbery and tough...A good friend and accomplished bbq'er showed me how to steam the thigh in our finishing sauce...this process resulted in a very tender piece of chicken with skin that bit through very cleanly...Although we didn't get a call, we did the best we've ever done at the Royal, placing 53 out of 473...I think wecould've done better had I seasoned the thigh better prior to cooking...Here's what the finished product looked like:
IMG_00711.jpg

Just my 2cents worth...

you all got me wondering what you think of the color of my chicken was like. here are a couple of pics from last night.. I didnt trim, scrape or mutliate in any way. just tring a new method..its kinda a combo of a few that are out there..

Sal

Attachments

• brethern chicken pics front.jpg
    brethern chicken pics front.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 109
  • brethern chicken pics the bite.jpg
    brethern chicken pics the bite.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 107
Nice bite through! I personally like that color, the reason I am doing mine so red because I have used the color you have and darker colors and they have never done really well for me. I cooked chicken last night and it looked just like yours and the flavor was awesome. I think it looks good. I am trying to do away with any specs on my meat.

Nice bite through! I personally like that color, the reason I am doing mine so red because I have used the color you have and darker colors and they have never done really well for me. I cooked chicken last night and it looked just like yours and the flavor was awesome. I think it looks good. I am trying to do away with any specs on my meat.

Thanks, I do like a little darker color and I think that may come by hitting it with a little smoke at the end. I kinda like the specs, I think it adds character and contrast. My chicken has never done well (highest was 2 x 13ths), I think this may work as far as not costing me a nice overall placement.

Stupid chicken....

...funny thing is we have never did a sauce or injected just a nice italian herb dry rub and time on the smoker not in a pan or any liquid involved and we have got in middle 25th or better (17th)...tried sauce and done way worse 3 spots out of last..injected way worse (cough) dead last. So I don't know though all of the chicked posted looks great and winners to me...haha but with my record what do I know...haha

I have had a lot of phone calls and emails about the chicken, some people hate the color and a lot of people love it. This chicken is made with a process probably never done before, and flavors that I guarantee have never been done before. I will not reveal the secrets, but will keep you posted on success. I am going to go with the dark cherry red on the bottom for little rock. I will take pitures and keep updates. I will do another chicken cook next week and even include a box to show what it looks like over a putting green. Will not do our regular presentation, but will get six in the box for you.

Back