Chicken Turn-in

My problem with this statement is that the rules of the game state very clearly to those responsible for maintaining it's integrity that they must judge the entry as it is turned in without prejudice as to what others are turning in or what some might consider to be a standard.

I guess this has digressed into the age old judging argument. And I agree anything but thighs is adding risk to your score. The thing is that's pretty sad.

How are you going to enforce this though? No judge is going to admit to judging down because someone turned in something out of the ordinary. It's the same thing with sliced brisket... you turn in slices that are 1/2 inch thick because that's how you like to slice them and some judges are going to ASSUME you overcooked it and are trying to keep the slices from falling apart when picked up. Again, no one is going to admit that's why they scored down (unless they're not playing with a full deck). That being said, I believe there should be some standards. If you can't judge on personal preference and there are no standards, THEN what do you have left? There are no easy solutions.

There are no perfect answers. We have to trust the judges and just make sure there is beer in the cooler, and it will be OK.

My problem with this statement is that the rules of the game state very clearly to those responsible for maintaining it's integrity that they must judge the entry as it is turned in without prejudice as to what others are turning in or what some might consider to be a standard.

I guess this has digressed into the age old judging argument. And I agree anything but thighs is adding risk to your score. The thing is that's pretty sad.

I think first comp next season we're gonna give turning the thighs in on top of a pulled mixture described from the first post and see how that goes. If that makes the overall scores that we've gotten for chicken go up a bit then it'll be worth it.

Yeah, it is sad that it is what it is... now, if you had some phenominal white meat chicken, and present it like you sad, i think that might give you an edge. but if the white meat isn't what you'd expect to turn out, just don't turn it in, you still have good thighs. Kind of like brisket: unless the burnt ends are great, don't turn it in with the slices. and since i can't cook burnt ends worth a damn, i turn in just slices.

My theory/opinion is, is that if you don't turn in at least 6 thighs, you are basically telling a judge first off that you don't know how the game is played, and must be one of those good time locals who are turning in something for their first contest ever. .

While your likely very right I think it is wrong for a judge to try to psychoanylize a cook based on his entry. Another post noted "different" may mean cover up.

They should stop thinking and eat the dang chicken/pork/brisket/ribs.

my team is thinking of starting to pull chicken. Our thighs are turning out ok, but we are thinking of pulling. At The first contest we went to last year, the chicken category was won by a pulled entry. We will see. I tried the pulled that started the thread and loved it. not sure about competition but it was great in the backyard.

When I judge, I do not down the score for other cuts of chicken. I actually enjoy seeing the variations and as long as the entry stands up for it self, I score it appropriately. I have scored other cuts very well when they deserve it. IMO, some judges get use to seeing a specific cut then get scared when the variation comes along.

You know your team and it's food. It you are always getting the calls, change very little. If you never got a call what do you have to loose with taking the chance?

I think the majority of judges still trust the cooks and take a bite. Worst case if red juice somes out and you spit. But I have heard of many judges now tearing the chicken meat off the bone before starting to eat it. It only takes a few idiots turning in undercooked chicken to get judges doing stuff like this.

I agree with you Ford, that the majority of judges still trust the cooks. Although I don't necessarily view the judges tearing the chicken off the bone instead of taking a bite as a bad thing. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. The elusive "crispy, bite through skin" is NOT a requirement. In my judging class the instructor adamantly said that you should NOT score down if the the skin is not crispy and bite though. Maybe that concept is finally getting through to some of the judges and they don't feel it is necessary to take a bite from the bone.

I have watched when I table captained and it was a 50/50 mix of biters/pullers but I also noted that most of the ones who pulled, tried the skin too. I also noted that the ones who pulled the meat from the bone didn't seem to be testing to see if the chicken was done. It looked to me like they were more concerned with getting their faces messy. I did see a couple of them who actually wiped thier hands between tasting each entry, which I though was good so they don't get the taste of one entry on the other.

I am thinking of turning in a mixed box this year.
Do the standard thighs but also include something else like pulled or a skinless boneless breast.
The family goes nuts over my chicken breasts. But most likely pulled.

Just my .02, nothing more.

Any time I judge, I judge the tray by how I think it appears. Granted, it seems most folks turn in 6 shellacked thighs, usually on parsley. But my task as a judge is to judge on what I think is an attractive presentation. So if it's breast, or pulled, I will never downgrade it on appearance.
As to taste and texture, most people IMHO, do thighs because they are the easiest part to consistently cook well, so they remain tasty and juicy. Breasts dry out, and for some reason, folks rarely use legs either
Although the pulled chicken looked tasty, I want to taste the chicken, not the sauce. If the sauce overpowers the meat, be it on a leg, thigh, pulled, whatever, I'll be downgrading the score on taste.

We're going to try competition the first time this year, and at least for the first contest, we will be turning in something other than thighs. If we score badly, next time we won't, but ya never know unless you try!

This post had really got me thinking about doing some pulled chicked at our next comp. We have never gotten a call on chicken so I don't think a little experimenting will hurt our score anyway. I am thinking about the combo box where you have thighs and pulled chicken. We'll see how it goes.

This post had really got me thinking about doing some pulled chicked at our next comp. We have never gotten a call on chicken so I don't think a little experimenting will hurt our score anyway. I am thinking about the combo box where you have thighs and pulled chicken. We'll see how it goes.
I spent 5 years and never got a chicken call then in year 6 I got a 7th place chicken. I tried hot, grilled, boneless skin on breasts, and it just didn't matter. Last year I had a DNP, 1st, 2nd, 1st and 6th. In March last year I took the Lotta Bull class. It more than paid for itself in chicken prize money alone. And there is a reason he's always right up there in Chicken TOY. I'm now like Mike and just cook 10 trimmed thighs at a contest whereas before I cooked 2 packs of thighs (25 or so).

Ask yourself this - 15 minutes after you hand off the box if you sample a piece of your chicken is it still hot and does juice still dribble down your chin because it's so moist?

I want to take a class but there are none close to home. I guess I will just keep practicing, and learning what I can from you guys.

I want to take a class but there are none close to home. I guess I will just keep practicing, and learning what I can from you guys.

yup, you're right... none close to us... so you need to drive great distances like i did.:lol:

Hey Podge, why dont we do a class at my house. You do the meat, and I will do the dessert.
Classes start at 500 per man, 100 per woman

guys the way i was told is take a piece of chicken pull it apart look close to the bone if not sure take a paper towel dab it on the bone if it is clear or brown it is cooked if it is red it not i myself dont want to get sick that is all i am talking about

Yes it does... also a Lotta Bull Graduate... Hope you can make an East Coast contest this year..

I spent 5 years and never got a chicken call then in year 6 I got a 7th place chicken. I tried hot, grilled, boneless skin on breasts, and it just didn't matter. Last year I had a DNP, 1st, 2nd, 1st and 6th. In March last year I took the Lotta Bull class. It more than paid for itself in chicken prize money alone. And there is a reason he's always right up there in Chicken TOY. I'm now like Mike and just cook 10 trimmed thighs at a contest whereas before I cooked 2 packs of thighs (25 or so).

Ask yourself this - 15 minutes after you hand off the box if you sample a piece of your chicken is it still hot and does juice still dribble down your chin because it's so moist?

Thank goodness it's a little easier here. We turn in a half chicken, connected. No guessing, no green, no parts or pieces. Leave it to the judges to pick the piece they want, although, here, most seem to go for the breasts.

Thank goodness it's a little easier here. We turn in a half chicken, connected. No guessing, no green, no parts or pieces. Leave it to the judges to pick the piece they want, although, here, most seem to go for the breasts.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that done.. maybe one turn-in box, with a chicken half, in garnish... then they judge that for appearance, then in another box, throw in 5 more halves.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that done.. maybe one turn-in box, with a chicken half, in garnish... then they judge that for appearance, then in another box, throw in 5 more halves.
Just one box. Then the judges use a plastic fork to sample it. And if it's a high score box in the prelims it is put at the final table and the judges again sample the same entry. Can be 45 minutes or more at a large contest. Totally comparison judging - this is the best, this is second, etc.

Podge said:

Just one box. Then the judges use a plastic fork to sample it. And if it's a high score box in the prelims it is put at the final table and the judges again sample the same entry. Can be 45 minutes or more at a large contest. Totally comparison judging - this is the best, this is second, etc.

Both great ideas....I just don't see anything changing to that degree for a long time with KCBS....

Back