Chicken tacos with Hatch chiles

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Sticking with this side of the Pacific Rim, it is Hatch chile season, and for many, these are special peppers. Although the actual variety of the pepper is not distinct, the region of Hatch results in a chile that is revered amongst chile eaters. I enjoy the complexity and rich flavor, and will grab a few, fire roast them and freeze them for use throughout the year. But, since I was doing that, I opted to go ahead and prepare one for dinner as well.

I used some Mary's chicken thighs, partially butterflied them and marinated them in a simple citrus based mixture.

Simple Citrus based marinade:
Juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime
2 tablespoons mild vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon Lucky Dog Green Label hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 small onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Just mix all of this together, and add in the chicken thighs. Marinade for 4 hours.

Raw!

I had the kettle fired up with a full load of lump charcoal, it was very hot, and the chiles took no time at all to blister and start to peel. Pulled them and throttled back the kettle to grilling hot. At no time did I do that hand test, it was just hot. In fact, while turning the chiles, the tongs I was using became dropping on the ground hot even though I had BBQ gloves on.

No human flesh was harmed, okay, a little was

From the time the chicken was ready, I had decided to save the chicken skins, and these were placed on the fire. It was still ripping and the chicken skins fried in their own fat, chicken cracklins! The chicken was placed on the edge of the kettle and grilled until done. I was shooting for the minimum for chicken, right around 155°F, as I intended to reheat the chicken prior to eating.

Note pepper and chicken craklin'

Look at those thighs

The chicken was coarsely chopped and reheated along with the cracklin's, this was then placed on the tortillas along with some avocado salsa, the julienned pepper and a little cheese.

Almost there

And finally a little snipped cilantro to freshen the dish and dinner is served. I opted to drink some sake straight from the bottle for this one, all that Fusion cuisine and such...

Ta da!

You are doing it wrong. (BIL mod). Looks great!
Bryan, I am about to spend a week with my sister and brother and their respective families at my BIL's property in Carmel. I am sure we will need to stock up on aluminum foil

I dreamt I cooked that. Now where'd all these damn feathers come from. I pray it's goose down.

Very nice!!!

Thanks everyone.

it always surprises me how hot chicken thighs can be cooked and still come out great.

Bryan, I am about to spend a week with my sister and brother and their respective families at my BIL's property in Carmel. I am sure we will need to stock up on aluminum foil

I thought you were there already, thus the comment. Oh well, gets you in practice a little early. Say hi to Clint when you see him.

Thanks again for the kudos, I may go hunting for more chiles this week. Although I really don't have much more freezer space

Back