Chicken Question

Hmmmm, does sound interesting.......Kat, that was rough regarding "no skin on meat" hehehe. We all wait with baited breath!!!:rolleyes:

A Report

The chicken was surprising...It came out of the smoker and looked almost like fried chicken with a very subtle smoke taste. I used apple wood. The temp held pretty good at about 250 though it did start to rain and cooled things off to about 175 and then in the process of getting the heat back up I had a spike to about 300. If I do it again I would use a much lighter dusting. I did skin side only and then put a little Tony C's on after it. It tasted great.

It it is certainly worth some more experimentation on some chicken pieces anytime I fire up a cooker. Sorry for not having pictures but I don't own a digital camera.

Rick

I just dusted two split chickens with corn starch and then sprinkled my rub on them. The rub did not want to stick but I let them set a while and everything came together. It may be a while before I grill, the wife has a few late patients tonight so I'll update in the morning.

Okay my brothers .... Here is a recipe I have used with corn starch.
I received this from a friend that has won several wing cookoffs.
He swears by cornstarch.

CHINESE THREE - FLAVORED CHICKEN WINGS

Chicken Wings Soy Sauce Sugar Vinegar Dry Sherry Cayenne Pepper Corn Starch Oil

THE SAUCE - contains Soy sauce, Sugar, Vinegar, Dry Sherry or Vermouth (if you can't drink it, it isn't fit to cook with), and Red or Cayenne pepper.
Add 1 unit of Soy (A unit is what ever size you want like a cup, 2 cups etc.), 1 unit of sugar, 1/2 unit of Vinegar, 1/4 unit dry Sherry to sauce pan and simmer 15 min. Add 1 tsp pepper per unit of liquid. Simmer at least 15 min. or more. This is to boil some of the liquid out. Let cool and refrigerate for later use.

Soak Wings in Soy for at least 30 minutes. Heat oil for deep fat frying of wings. Drain wings and dust with corn starch. Add few wings to oil and fry for 10 minutes or until done. Repeat until all wings are cooked.

To Wok or Skillet, add some sauce, cook until ready to caramelize then add handful of wings and toss to coat with thicking sauce. Coat wings and serve. Wings can be served alone or with fried rice or a vegetable for a complete meal.

My wife one time froze some fried chicken from a fast food place. When you warm it up it is soggy and limp. Well the next time you want to warm up frozen fried food try this. Light your grill and place a pie tin on it upside down and another one right side up. Place the frozen fried food on the upright tin and close the lid. When the food is warmed up, serve. It will still be crisp. Works with deep fat fried mushrooms also

I prefer chicken with consistant flavor and sometimes the skin just gets in the way, or some folks just peel it off along with your rub. Skinless chicken solves this problem. Basting will keep it moist during the cook.

4c2f176f.jpg

But for something different, here is the skinny on the cornstarch. It gives chicken with skin a wonderful crispness. Apply rub or seasonigs, sprinkle with cornstarch and put on the cooker. Indirect set-up using roasting temps around 300° at the grate works for me. Thighs are a good place to start 'cause they have more fat and and are more forgiving. Pricking the skin with a skewer will allow more natural fat to come out.

4146bec5.jpg

Dusted and ready to go.

e3a93265.jpg

Thighs with skin

b700a10b.jpg

A batch of skinless thighs using the same technique. Pepper was added on the second turn.

Wow! Those look amazing! But you're right... they DO look like fried chicken. So I'm just wondering... putting on a thin layer of sauce to finish them off would do what? Would it lessen the crispiness and make the cornstarch effort for naught? I think I'll try this too and see how they look in person (or "in fowl").

BTW... I have never cared for smoked chicken that is skinless. Regardless of how much I baste or whatever, the surface still comes out looking rubbery and not as appetizing as chicken with skin on.

The Chicken was noticably more crispy than usual. I would have to give this a thumbs up. The method FatDad gives for his Asain style dish is called velveting Thats what makes the chicken in Chinese dishes so fluffy and soft. If you take that method and use higher heat low moisture it looks fried. Great trick for our arsenal.

Back