Chicken Practice box - pic inside

hmmm...newbie judge, pretty, I;m going to say I'm not a fan of the lettuce. I kow, not a penalty, but I really try to pay attention and try to remove it mentally from the picture. I;d probably go with an 8, 'course I'm using what they gave me at the training as a six...yuk!! Scott

hey Mista,
first i wanted to complement you and your teams dedication to great bbq! i look foward to seeing the fruits of your labors. this chicken turn in box is a great improvement from the last one. the only thing i can say is that i would look for really small thighs that are perfectly uniform and try to get nine of them neatly in the box. the only reason for this is that odd numbers look more appealing in food portions... why? i don't know. i just read this someplace and have been following it since. also, if you want to buffer that red color in the bbq sauce try using balsamic vinegar. overall it looks great though.
phil

Well, I have been fairly well educated reading this thread. I will definitely not trim so much skin the next time I do chix. This last cook I did, I was able to get the skin crispy but it was too dark (something I can regulate with temp control) and the skin pulled way back. Now, I have a new technique to try. :-D

I rub all of my chicken with olive oil or veggie oil before I apply the rub. I also add some oil to my spray bottle and spray every hour. I have never had a problem with rubbery skin, it is usually very crisp and a nice dark brown color. Shrinkage and splitting is very rare on my chicken but it does happen thats why you should cook extra pieces. I think the type of rub you use can also make a difference in the skin.

The box looks great. very white and shinny the way I like my styrafoam... oh wait, the chicken looks great but looks like too much sauce. Is the sauce pooling in the bottom? It may be just the pic that makes it look so red but I don't think the color should matter that much to most judges.

I give it a solid 8 (based on the pic.)

Back