Chicken Practice...again!

Use really small chickens. If you can't fit 12 in the box they're too big.:lol:

chicken.jpg

Lee, our chicken cook, has become an expert at trimming thighs rather aggresively. We've been fairly successful at comps (4 calls in the last 5 contests) since we started doing it but I prefer to eat less trimmed thighs. All of that trimming takes a lot of fat and juice out of it. I'm not sure why the judges seem to like it.

chicken.jpg

Lee, our chicken cook, has become an expert at trimming thighs rather aggresively. We've been fairly successful at comps (4 calls in the last 5 contests) since we started doing it but I prefer to eat less trimmed thighs. All of that trimming takes a lot of fat and juice out of it. I'm not sure why the judges seem to like it.

WOW...nice lookin' box bro! Kinda reminds me of White Castle Burger Buns...:lol::lol::lol: Lee must have trimmed bone and all to get that many in there...I can see 9 working out with an agressive trim on the meat...but how in the world did he get 12? :icon_shock1:

chicken.jpg

Paul, another one with never frozen chicken is Snyder's on Independence Avenue. And last year when I bought mine there, the thighs were about the size of farkin' ping pong balls so 12 in a box would be no problem without all the trimming! I didn't do well with them so I stopped using them. In hindsight, I believe I was overcooking them because they were so small. Hell, it could have been that the judges thought they were quail thighs because sometimes I wondered that myself! :roll:

But you've been doing this and winning longer than I have so if it works for you, keep on keepin' on. I just know that when I took Bubba's (Bubba and Jeff) advice and went with fresh bird, I started scoring a lot higher and in my last six contests, I've gotten three first places with it. Plus I got 12th at the American Royal Open last fall. I'm kinda sold on it. :wink:

Well thats pretty damn good. Best I can do lately is just get it good enough to not hurt me in the Overall.

Got a practice run coming off the Egg right now, will post a pic.

Good God, every time I see those pictures I think you people must be cooking quail! With the chicken sold here, we have a hard time cramming six in a box -- no options unless we cut bone, because the bone length alone dictates that we have to select carefully to get ones short enough to wedge in there.

My advice would be practice with what you will use in a contest. Dont practice with Costco chicken, then buy fresh butchers chicken for a contest. The end result will not be the same. I have already made that mistake.

Thanks for this

And this

Thats what we used in the Open and it made a big difference.

Congrats, Chris! We didn't exactly take a beating in chicken (over 160 is good) but missed out with all you good cooks up top! :wink:

God, just the WORDS "chicken practice" make me want to hurl at this point.
We've cooked waytoodamnmuch chicken the past couple of weeks.

Yeah, some of us feel real sorry for you guys... :roll: It's a real nice problem to have....

i would suggest chicken burritos with the leftovers...

I went 7? with a call... now on a huge drought...

My supplier thinks I have an serious problem with my recent chicken addiction... he might be right... stupid bird...

But, in the long run, because EVERYONE I know of hates dealing with chicken, present company included, when chicken scores even decently the total outcome is so much better....because there is so much dread in chicken, and overlooked......but, yeah, practicing everything else is a lot of enjoyment, compared to the dread of practicing chicken........glad I am not alone in this boat!

Sounds like Im alone again. We like cooking chicken. It is my favorite to cook.
The other 3 gives us fits. Good then bad, then great then overcooked ect........

Back