Chicken Feet-Some guidence

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jon
So, I'm about to make some chicken stock and picked up 2#s of chicken feet. Do I just add them with all of the other goodies? And should I remove the talons? Just need some clarification prior to embarking on this journey.

Thanks

Not sure what condition or prep has been done to your feet but I remove the talons and parboil lightly to remove the outer skin.

From the pictures I see on the internet they have a deep yellow skin on them and when they have been cleaned the skin is a pale yellow to almost white. I talked with the butcher and he said they had been cleaned. As for the talons, I got different answers when I searched the WEB. As always I get the best advice here. A picture of my feets is below, do they look clean :shock:

Last edited:
They look pretty clean from here! The lighter color could be a difference in the breed. My black chickens have white feet, and my meat birds have dark yellow skin.
I remove the talons but it is not necessary. Kind of like when I cook a whole fish on the grill, I like to remove the fins... it's just a matter of preference but won't effect the flavor.

Good luck with them!
They are really good battered and fried. :becky:

From what I've read they were probably scalded and clean right along with the bird. I'll boil up some water and try a few to see what happens. I also read the by removing the talons you release more of the natural goodness into the stock. Thanks for the input.

buccaneer, gonna try the stock first. There's a store in Milwaukee that had these packaged in a bunker, must have been several hundred pounds. Thanks for the idea, gonna try a bunch of stuff after the stock.

Back