chicken box

Dustaway

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok guys your turn to tell me what you think of my first attempt at chicken. thanks in advance for your help

IMG_1497.jpg

What Sled said. Unless you had to cover something up on the edges get it up a little higher so that I can get a better look. The sauce could be a little more even, and the thigh on the top right looks like something got stuck on it.

I thought you'd been over to LA to cook KCBS. Did you turn in something other than thighs?

I think Zilla and Texana know where you can find a chicken cook....

Put some shredded green lettuce under the parsley to help raise the chicken up in the box. The chicken itself looks good but like the other's said it looks buried in the garnish.

I thought you'd been over to LA to cook KCBS. Did you turn in something other than thighs?

I think Zilla and Texana know where you can find a chicken cook....

yes I did they were jumbo thighs with very little garnish, yea I guess I can call BBQ doug:p

i did a box like that ONCE.... Looked nearly identical. Same idea as you. I got creamed on appearance. I thought it looked great, but after getting the scores, one 5, the rest 6's and 7's and re-looking at the pics, i concluded that the meat was too hidden. The judges must have felt it was a garnish box, not a meat box.

thanks Phil it's kinda funny when I was done with the box I thought ok a little light on the side then after taking pic's it really showed up bad all over. the wife tried to get me to make a bed of parsley before I stuck the thighs in glad it was only a practice run. give me foil anyday:p

Yeah, it's really tough to judge that box with the quicksand parsley effect going on since the chicken is so hidden. I too would give it a 5 in the condition shown. Keep at it!

Garnish

I'm with the rest of the members to hidden. I judged a contest this year that had more garnish then meat, I had to judge accordingly. I wouldn't give you a 5 but no 8/9 somewhere between.

Back